Tuesday, January 29, 2019

War or Peace

O. T. #1376  "War or Peace"
Jan. 29, 2019
Psalm 120
I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war. Ps. 120:7

LET IT GLOW


BACKGROUND:
We are entering a group of a different kind for the Psalms 120-134. They are called Psalms of Ascent, or the Songs of Ascent. After the Babylonian captivity of 40 years, the Jews sang them on their way back to Jerusalem. It was about a climb of 2,700 feet in elevation.

As for the authors, David wrote four (Psalms 122,124,131,133), Solomon wrote one (Ps. 127), and the rest were anonymous. (The MacArthur Bible Commentary)

Just so you know, I am going to be using as one of my references the Beth Moore's study guide, Stepping Up, a journey through the Psalms of Ascent. So whenever her name is used, that is the book from which the information comes.

The Hebrew word for ascent is ma'aloth, which means to go up. According to Talmud, the 15 psalms somehow developed a connection to 15 steps of the Temple. Later, they were labeled a Song of the Steps. Later, the Levites sang these songs at the celebration of three feasts of unleavened bread, the harvest, and the Booths or Tabernacles.

Beth challenges us to consider our study of each psalm as a daily practice as we seek to "go up" to the next level with God, as a leap of faith.

Are you ready to go up and be closer to God? Before we begin, spend a few moments on your face before God, if possible where you are, and give yourself to Him. Ask Him for a lesson to learn each day.
"In God's economy, the way up is down," Beth said. 

LET IT GROW


Apparently, a conflict was going on in the writer's life. Do you have a conflict in your life? Then spend a few moments telling God how it is getting to you.
In Beth's book, she has a picture of stairs, on which she tells us to write the them for each psalm on each step.
At the bottom is Step 1: The Lord is my Deliverer.

Friend, can you rewrite Psalm 120, making it personal to you? Here is how I did it:
My Psalm 120, The First Step:
  1. When I was troubled, I cried to the Lord and He heard me.
  2. Lord, deliver my soul from lying lips and deceitful tongues.
  3. What will God give them and what will be done to them?
  4. Sharp words like arrows and hurtful ways like burning coals will come back to them. (God takes revenge.)
  5. Woe to me because I live in my town and go to church at First Baptist in ______.
  6. I've been too long with backbiters, condemners, and criticizers there.
  7. I am for peace, but when I turn the other check and they do it again, trying to make war.
Through the years, I have known people who play dirty, but I didn't get in the mud with them. As we make our ascent to God, let us take the high road. We can do this by walking away and not arguing and by taking our pain to our Loving Savior. He experienced the same things as we do.


LET IT GO


Jesus, will You deliver my mind from those hateful words so and so said to me?
Fill me with love for them.
Change their heart and my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment