Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Unexpected Winds

O. T. #1377 "Unexpected Winds"
Jan. 30, 2019
Psalm 121
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

LET IT GLOW

Step 2: The Lord is my Protector.

Yep, the weather in my state can change within any given hour. I wore my fuzzy warm boots yesterday when I went out on an errand. Wrapped in my winter coat, mind you. Prepared, that was me. But I forgot my thick, knit cap for my head. It was uncovered. Oh, that cold wind blew right through one ear and out the other. (Guess you know why.) Isn't it that way in life? We can have a good week, ready for a storm, and wham, an unexpected wind from an unexpected source knocks us down. Today, this chapter gives us reassurance, so read on, dear one.

Remember, the Jews are traveling back to Jerusalem after being in captivity in Babylon. (Oops,70 years, not 40) They were on a pilgrimage, ascending in the hills of Judea.

The psalmist refers to the LORD as their:
  • Helper (verse 1); Along the rough road would have been enemies, wild animals, and hard places in the road. The psalmist turned to the Lord for their help along the journey.
  • Maker (verse 2); The phrase Maker of heaven and earth only occurs 5 times in the Hebrew Bible, three of which appear in the Psalms of Ascent verse 2; 124:8; 134:3) The psalmist knew beyond a doubt that the God who made everything had the power to make His children have a successful journey, reaching Jerusalem and rebuilding the Temple. The hills aren't moving and so they could depend upon their God. 
  • Keeper (verses 3-6); The mountainous region could result in a foot slipping and tumbling down the mountain. The hot sun would have been a hardship for those travelers. When we cling to Jesus, we will not slip into a lifestyle of sin.  
  • Preserver (verses 7-8); Falwell said, "Jehovah will preserve our movements from morning to evening, from infancy to old age." God never abandons us.
LET IT GROW

Okay, folks,we are on an unexpected journey through life, right? It is never as smooth and easy as we would like. Often times we don't see our enemies lurking in unexpected places. There may be some twists and turns that are unpleasant. Others may throw curve balls at us, jolting us off balance, resulting in questions. That is why it is important that we follow Jesus on the road He has for us today.

When God doesn't move the mountains in front of us, what do we do? We turn to the Maker of those mountains, the One who is our Helper. 
When the heat is on, is Jesus our shade, rest, and peace?
When evil attacks us and our loved ones, will we turn to the Preserver of our faith?
Trust His ways for us to be always good and His glory. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Paul encourages us because he made it through all sorts of perils.

We abide under the shadow of the Almighty, because we dwell in the secret place of the Most High God. (Psalm 91:1) Believers who are willing to sit down and take up residence in the presence of the Almighty will abide under His shadow.

Psalm 91:10-11 say, There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come night thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

My head is not in the sand, friend. I know there are viruses, diseases, death, and demons that attack us. But they can't dwell in our soul, for we are sealed unto that day of redemption with the blood of our Savior Jesus Christ. One day we will arrive in our heavenly Jerusalem called heaven. Ooheee!
My hope is in Jesus, the Maker of heaven and earth! Lift up our eyes unto Him.

LET IT GO


Lord, You are the Creator of heaven, earth, and me.
You don't sleep.
You won't allow me to slip and stumble.
You keep me safe.
You won't allow anything to kill me or smite me.
You protect me from all evil.
Lord, guard my coming and goings now and forever.
I will trust in You.


No comments:

Post a Comment