April 30, 2015
Judges 2-Part 5
They refused to give up their evil practices and stubborn ways. Judges 2:19
LET IT GLOW
We have become a selfish and I-centered generation. We have so many modern tech things available. Young people want to always be entertained. Where is the work ethic? Why do kids not do good things without expecting being rewarded for it? What happened to love your neighbor? What happened to Israel after all they went through to get their land? What did they refuse to give up?
Previously, we discussed an overview of Israel at this time. They were in a cycle of sin. That is why God raised up 14 various judges to deliver them out of it.
What do we learn about this situation?
- It was God who raised up the judges.
- The Lord was with the judges.
- He delivered Israel out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge.
- It was their groanings because of their oppression and affliction under their enemies that God had compassion on Israel.
- Whenever a judge died, Israel returned into their sinful ways of idolatry, even more corruptly than their fathers.
- Because they violated their covenant with God and did not listen to Him, God no longer drove out their enemies as He did during Joshua's time.
- God tested Israel to see whether they would keep the way of the Lord and walk in it as their forefathers. (verse 22)
- The Lord allowed those nations to remain; He did not drive them out at once. (verse 23)
LET IT GROW
Israel refused to give up their evil practices and stubborn ways. (verse 19)
And we say that is sad, then go on our merry way, refusing to give up our evil practices and stubborn ways. What evil practices, Lord, do we do?
Some things come to my mind:
- not giving Him first place in our life;
- treating Sundays as any other day when buying and selling and not making it a day of rest and worship;
- having objects so important that I spend too much time with it, such as cleaning cars and houses spotlessly;
- spreading gossip;
- criticizing, grumbling, jealousy, anger, selfishness.
LET IT GO
Surrender to Jesus all the day long.
Give it up.
Sing praises to Him.
Be thankful always in all things.