Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Lamp and Light

O. T. #1367 "Lamp and Light"
Jan. 16, 2019
Psalm 119-Part 16
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.  Psalm 119:105

LET IT GLOW

Stanza 14, verses 105-112

I don't like walking outside in the dark. Do you? There have been times that we forgot to turn on the porch light before leaving the house and it was dark whenever we returned home. Living in the country, there are nocturnal critters roaming around, so I like to be able to see in front of me and all around me. I don't know what I would do if a 'possum or skunk crossed in front of me. Scream and drop everything and run, I suppose.
I used to carry a small flashlight in my purse, then it was too hard to find. Finally, my husband taught me how to turn on the light on my cell phone. Now I can see my way.

Lamps and torches were carried at night by the Eastern caravans. They didn't have headlights. Those lit up their paths, so they did not wander off the right path. Especially in the desert, that could be very deadly.

What does our key verse say is a lamp and light for his feet and path? God's Word.

In the Hebrew language, a lamp is a burner or light; candle; a light refers to illumination or luminary; bright; clear; happiness.

God's Word shows us the right way for us to go as we walk in the light of the Holy Spirit. There are wrong ways and false ways that can be walked in darkness. However, Jesus made the right way, because He is The Way, the Truth, and The Life. (John 14:6)

Here are some things Sarah Young wrote in her devotional book, Jesus Calling:

When we are on the right path, we are to listen more to Jesus. He will lead us on the way that He designed just for us. Oh, it can be a lonely way, humanly speaking. But Jesus goes before us as well as alongside us, so we are never alone. Do not expect anyone to understand fully Jesus' ways with us. He reveals the path of Life day by day, and moment by moment. Jesus told His disciple Peter to follow Him, and He tells us, also.
If we slow down our pace of life, we will find Jesus anywhere. He will show us how to spend our time and energy. As our trust in Jesus goes up, fear and worry automatically goes down.

How wonderful is God's Word! It provides what we need just whenever we need it. It is the key to life. Dear one, let us continue to study the Bible so we see our way clear enough to stay on the right path. It is our way to happiness. Did you notice it in the meaning of light?

Psalm 16:11 says, Thou wilt show me the path of life: in Thy presence is fullness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures forevermore. 

LET IT GROW



In verse 108, David says, Accept, I beseech The, the free-will offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me Thy judgments. 

What are the free-will offerings of David's mouth? Praises to the Lord.
Will we offer praises to the Lord today as our free-will offering?

LET IT GO


Jesus, You are my lamp and light for my life.
You are my way to happiness.
Direct my steps on the path that You have for me, the Life-giving path.
I praise You with all my heart!
I let Your Word get into me this moment.

2 comments:

  1. Love your illustration of using your phone for a flashlight (i have trouble using mine, LOL). To keep the light burning, I must dwell in it, use it.

    Hope you are doing well in the new year. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How my friend Gaylene,
    Happy New Year to you and yours. Thank you for your prayers. We have had some things going on, but the Lord is good and working them out for us
    I have you and your kids names on my desk so I can remember to pray for you each morning. We are preparing for an Artic blast of cold air this weekend.
    Hang in there. God is good.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete