Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Singing in the Midst of a Mess

O. T. #1267  "Singing in the Midst of a Mess"
August 21, 2018
Psalm 69-Part 2
I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs.  Psalm 69:30-31

LET IT GLOW

David had sank into the deep mire of despair when he wrote this song. He even says so in verse 2. Yet, he appeals to his Heavenly Father's love, kindness, and mercy in verse 16. Then we skip down
to our key verses. Do you pick up on David's change of attitude?

1. I will praise the name of God with a song. In Ephesians 5:19, we read from Paul to be filled with the Spirit and speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

2. Magnify Him with thanksgiving. Ephesians 5:20 says, Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Did you notice that will please the LORD better than the best sacrifices?

There is no sacrifice as acceptable to God as the sacrifice of a heart filled with thanksgiving to God and overflowing with His praises. (Falwell)

David was singing in the midst of a mess. Can we do the same? Our mess may not be life threatening like David's, but it is serious to us. David is our example of how to handle it.

Amazing love. How can it be, that You my King should die for me. Amazing love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honor You. (I love that song)

Thank You for loving and setting me free. Thank You for giving your life just for me. How I thank You! Jesus, I thank You!

So shall we sing His praises all the day long?

LET IT GROW

This psalm is known as a messianic psalm. These verses not only refer to David, but also to the Son of David-Jesus. (David is a type of Christ.) Jesus went through a lot of suffering besides hanging on the cross. He was surrounded by His enemies, deserted by His friends, beaten, and brokenhearted. Enduring it all, Christ still freely gave His life a ransom for our sins. He could have called ten thousand angels to rescue Him, but chose to remain on the cross to be our perfect sacrifice.

Verse 21 further describes His suffering, They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave Me vinegar to drink.

How horribly mean His persecutors were to Jesus. David foretold the sufferings of Christ as found in John 19. His prediction was fulfilled. Jesus Christ came as the True Messiah, and we not look for another. Our God is merciful and a God of all comfort.

Have you asked Jesus to be your Savior and forgive you of your sins? You can today. He awaits with open, loving arms.

LET IT GO

Bless that wonderful name, the name of Jesus!
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment