Friday, August 10, 2018

Need Some Lovingkindness?

O. T. #1260  "Need Some Lovingkindness?"
August 10, 2018
Psalm 63

LET IT GLOW

Yesterday morning I hurried around so I could get to the sheep arena at the fair by 9. (That is why I was late posting.) My granddaughter was showing her lamb, Ottis. She was quite nervous about the situation. Mostly, I think it was because he might jump up on her or be stubborn in obeying her. So when it was her turn to walk him in the arena, I asked God to quiet Ottis. He answered my little prayer. The lamb was mellow the whole time until they were leaving, that is. When he saw the open gate, Ottis ran toward it. Someone quickly closed the gate and it was stopped. As it turned out Ottis placed second in his division. Now that was lovingkindness of God shown to us in a small matter, but a big thing for my granddaughter. Even when others were amazed, I wonder if Jesus whispered into the lamb's ear, "Peace, be still." Well, I'm going to share this with her so she can learn how God cares about us, even in the little things. Praise Jesus!

Well, again, David reflects on his experience when he fled from Absalom his son. What kind of relationship did David have with God?
Verses 3 and 4 tell us: Because Thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise Thee. Thus will I bless Thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in Thy name.

The Hebrew word for lovingkindness is checed (kheh-sed), which means favor, mercy, pity.

What is better than life? God's divine favor. Do we consider God's mercy shown to us better than the comforts of life? Communion with Him anytime and anywhere is so sweet.

David praised God with his lips and up-lifted hands. He resolved to live a life of thankfulness to God. Are we thanking God every day for the things He has given? Will we make each day a thanksgiving-day, even to our dying-day? When our soul has found freedom in Jesus, it is easier to life up our hands in His praise. After all, He is above us. Everything we have comes from Him.

LET IT GROW

Keep in mind, at this time, David was hiding from his enemies in the barren wilderness of Judah. He was lonely and needed a trusting friend.
Take a look back at the first two verses. When did David seek God?
  • early in the morning,
  • when his soul was thirsty,
  • as his flesh longs for Him;
  • throughout the night. (verse 6)
David's soul and flesh longed for the fellowship with God which he had before this happened to him, before he ran to the wilderness for his life again. Also, David longed to see the power and glory of his God, even though David was not in the sanctuary.

Are we delighting in the Lord so much that we seek and worship Him early in the morning?
Because You are my helper, I sing joy in the shadow of Your wings. (verse 6b)

LET IT GO

What a powerful Name it is, the name of Jesus.
Everyday Your lovingkindness is with me.
Your mercies are new every morning.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.
Unending love, amazing grace.
May I joyfully sing Your praises, Sweet Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment