Thursday, August 23, 2018

My and Thy and Try

O. T. #1269  "My and Thy and Try"
August 23, 2018
Psalm 71
My life is an example to many because You have been my strength and protection. Psalm 71:7 NLT

LET IT GLOW

What kind of trial or issues are you dealing with today, friend? Right now, I am dealing with a weight problem. Yep, mom was right-one day it would catch up with me. (I was always thin in my younger years.) These have been the days all right. This year I have gained 10 pounds. Now if you add that onto last year's extra 5, that comes to a total of 15. So now I put myself on a diet and onto the treadmill. Ugh! It is hard, let me tell you. I had lost 6 of those add-ons, but now some crept back. So food is an enemy that I am battling today. (I refuse to buy larger-sized clothes.)

Apparently, this psalm is written by an aged saint. Probably it was David, though some thought it was by Jeremiah the prophet.  Old age does not exempt us from troubles. His enemies conclude that God had abandoned this believer. However, the believer is confident that God remains faithful.

While reading this chapter, I picked up on a couple of phrases that were continuously used-my and Thy. David, an old man now, whispers a prayer to the God, who is personally:
  • my strong habitation;
  • my rock and my fortress;
  • my strong refuge;
  • my God;
  • my help.
For years David walked with the Lord. Even in his old age, he declares God's (in verses 15-22):
  • righteousness,
  • salvation,
  • wondrous works,
  • strength and power,
  • greatness,
  • truth.
Perhaps we could add to those lists of my and Thy concerning to what God has been to us in our walk with Him. I could add protector, provider, faithful, forgiving, lifter of my head. What could you add?


LET IT GROW

The Jeremiah Study Bible shares some reasons for life's trials:
  • ungodly foes (verse 4)
  • an uncertain future (verse 9)
  • unfaithful friends (verses 10-13)
  • and God's sovereignty (verse 19 and 20).
Doesn't Jeremiah pretty well sum it all up, the reasons for our trying times? Most of our psalms so far have been David complaining about his enemies and pleading for God's help. What is the right response to all of these sources of problems in our life? Some issues we endure are due to the sins of others or our own sins. We should rely upon the character and compassion of God.
In James 1:2 and 12, he reminds believers that God uses trials to refine our faith. Those refining times should knock us to our knees before a loving God.

Maybe I should add to that list Myself being my worst enemy. I think it would be appropriate, as I mentioned my struggles at the beginning.


LET IT GO

Just give me Jesus. He is everything I ever needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment