Tuesday, August 14, 2018

A Humungus Green Gourd

O. T. #1262  "A Humungus Green Gourd"
August 14, 2018
Psalm 65


LET IT GLOW

When I was at the fair last week, I toured the crafts and harvest building, which I always have to do.
Talk about abundance of harvest. My granddaughter, with her other grandfather's help, grew this humungous green gourd. Its length was almost the width of the table. Needless to say, it sat upon the winner's table. Sure, a gourd is not edible, but it can be a decorative object. There were large vegetables on display. They were all evidence of a fruitful harvest.

What did I learn from the previous lesson? God's unfailing love is better than life itself. He loves me in spite of my sinning self. He never turns His back on me, but unfailing love continues. His love is greater and stronger than any hurting words shot at me like arrows. It never fails, never gives up, and never runs out on me. Do I have that kind of love for those ornery folks?

This psalm is described as a harvest hymn of praise, which is to be sung on any occasion of thanksgiving to the Lord. I, for one, need to be reminded of the goodness of our God. The beauty of nature reveals the Creator's goodness.
What does God do for His children?
  • His presence to hear our prayers; (verse 2)
  • God forgiveness our sins: (verse 3)
  • He chooses us and draws us near to Him; (verse 4)
  • Blessings are received while in His Temple; (verse 4)
  • He faithful answers our prayers with awesome deeds; (verse 5)
  • He is our hope and confidence; (verse 5)
  • His mighty strength and power are evident upon the earth; (verses 6-13)
  • God brings forth the harvests through showers of rain and blessing.
I say, aren't those spiritual blessings, too? It is because of Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection that we have access to God. God's blessings given to Jesus overflows to us.

LET IT GROW

Understanding God's abundant generosity should make us grateful to God and generous to others.
(Life Application Study Bible)

Have we had any petitions granted lately? What about pardoned sins? Any praise time spent with God? Are we blessed with true happiness and full satisfaction? Can we clap our hands and stomp our feet to the music of songs of praise? Nothing can steal our joy unless we let it.
Shall we look around us and see those in need of joy? Let us pour out our joy of Jesus on them?

LET IT GO

Praise and thanksgiving belong to You my God.
Thank You for breath of life today, salvation of mine and loved ones.
You meet my needs and bless me extravagantly
Use me to be a blessing to others.
Let Your joy flow through me and to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment