Monday, February 28, 2011

Proud Parents

Philippians 2-Part 4
Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither labored in vain. Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all. For the same cause also do ye joy, and rejoice with me. 
 Philippians 2:16-18


LET IT GLOW

There were special times during my children's growing up years that I was especially proud to be their mother. I'll share a couple of them. Our son was not only atheletic, but he had a fantastic ability to sing. It was during the times of his public singing that I beamed with pride. Our daughter was very academic in school and received the highest amount of scholorships given to her graduating class. Again, I beamed.
Can you see it coming through the computer as I write this? I was so proud of my children back then and still am. They are serving the Lord, hard workers, and dedicated to their families. Yes, I'm still  a beaming, proud parent.
How about you? Are you a proud parent, too?

Paul had spiritual children in the church at Philippi in whom  he was proud  and that brought him pleasure and delight (Definition of joy in Webster's Dictionary). They gave him several  reasons to rejoice. Shall we see what they were?
  • They walked in the truth.
  • They lived as blameless and harmless children of God.
  • They shined as lights in the world.
  • They held forth the Word of Life (Jesus).
  • They faithfully labored in hard ministerial work.
  • They stood fast in faith, adorned with the doctrine of Christ.
  • They would rejoice with Paul if the cause of Christ resulted in his death.

Am I doing the same things-walking in Truth, living blamelessly and harmlessly, holding up the Word of Life, faithfully working for Jesus, standing fast in faith, rejoicing in God's will for others' lives?


LET IT GROW

In the rest of chapter 2, Paul mentions two of his fellow workers Timothus and Epaphroditus. You know that I had to check out these two guys. I'm familiar with Timothy. He accompanied Paul on his second and third missionary journeys. Paul sent Timothy to Ephesus to teach them. Acts 16 gives Timothy's background; his mother was Eunice, a Christian Jewess and his father a Greek.

Preston Taylor, in his book Philippians: Joy in Jesus says: 
Faithfulness will open doors whereby God will use us for His glory. Do we honestly want God to use us? Let us follow Timothy and (1) be available, (2) be cheerful, (3) accept wise counsel from others, (4) maintain an interest in others, and (5) remain faithful. Will we respond and be among those whom God uses?

Ephroditus. Can we pronounce the word or tell something about the man? Ephroditus was a member of the church in Philippi. In A.D. 62 the Philippian Christians decided to send Paul a love offering, and they selected Ephaphroditus to take the gift. Soon after his arrival in Rome, the Philippian messenger and offering-bearer became garvely ill. Someone took the news of his illness to Philippi, and the church expressed great anxiety about their absent member. Paul sent him home, carrying his Philippian letter. He performed a valiable service for Paul and the Christians of Philippi. Little-known Christians are vital in God's service.

In verses 28 and 29, Paul tells the Philippians to rejoice when they see Epaproditus; receive him in the Lord with all gladness. Isn't that how I should recieve fellow Christians, rejoicing and with gladness?


LET IT GO

Hold forth the Word of Life, Jesus.

Be a Timothy.

Be a little-known Christian in God's service.

Rejoice in the Lord, allowing His joy to fill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment