Monday, February 7, 2011

Raggety Old Dirty Coat

Ephesians 4-Part 2
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.     Ephesians 4:23-24


LET IT GLOW

Verse 7 states, "But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ."
NLT says it this way, "However, he has given each one of us a special gift through the generosity of Christ."

This tells us that our Sovereign Lord has given each member of the body (the church) some gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit. No one has all the spiritual gifts and not all have the same gifts. They are specific graces and capacities for service. We should be content with our own gifts and not envious or look down on the gifts of others. (Liberty Bible Commentary)
These spiritual gifts are listed in Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12,  and here in verse 11. These men were gifted by the Spirit for the believers in the church and for specific reasons. They are listed in verse 12: For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ."

What is the purpose of the gifts of leadership?
1. It is for the perfecting of the saints.
    Not to make us sinlessly perfect, but it is to completely outfitting us to be vessels unto honor, sanctified
    and ready for the Master's use, according to 2 Timothy 2:21. So am I learning how to live a life pleasing
    the Lord?

2. It is for the work of the ministry.
    The saints are equipped to do the God's work, to serve.
    Jerry Falwell said,"The church is not a spiritual rest home, but a barracks for training soldiers of the
    cross." Did he mean that I'm not to be just a pew filler, but a worker for Jesus?

3. It is for the edifying of the body of Christ.
    Edify means to build up faith, belief, or knowledge in; to instruct. (Webster's Dictionary)
    Is my faith in Christ increasing and growing?

Am I using my spiritual gifts the Lord has given me to serve Him? These gifts are not to be confused with talents that even the unbeliever has, such as planing the piano, singing,  but only the believers have them.
The Holy Spirit gives them when we get saved.Do I know what my spiritual gifts are?


LET IT GROW

Since we have  about half a foot of snow at my house this week, I have to bundled up, putting on my raggety old dirty coat, in which to do my outside chores-watering cows and feeding the cats. Actually, I wear boots, scarf, and gloves, too. Anyway, when I come inside, I take off those things because my house is warm inside.( I wouldn't wear them anywhere else.) This is done at least a couple of times a day.

In verse 22, Paul tells us, "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts." 
There is a difference in what I do, taking off the outside clothing, which is only temperary until the next time I
repeat those chores, and the meaning of this scripture.

Liberty Bible Commentary explains it this way:
It means to put off definitely, deliberately, quickly, and permanently, once for all the old man as a filthy and repulsive garment. The old man is the unregenerated self, a slave to sin, and headed for judgment. It is the old "I" that has been crucified with Christ (Gal.2:20) and must be so reckoned (Rom.6:9-14). The old man is decaying day by day, like a decomposing corpse, and inevitably grows more and more corrupt. The old man is not renewed (John 3:6), he must be denounced and replaced.


Our key verses tell us to be renewed. The Greek present tense means continual and progressive renewal.

What needs renewed? The spirit of my mind needs renewing. It's my attitudes and disposition that  need changed because they determine my behavior and conduct.

How do I get renewed in the spirit of  my mind? It happens with spiritual food, reading God's Word, surrendering to what It says, surrendering to the Holy Spirit, and applying the truths all day long (and asking for forgiveness whenever I sin).

What is the second thing Paul tells us to do? He says," Put on the new nature, created to be like God-truly righteous and holy." (NLT)          
Our old life and old nature died with Christ and He becomes our new life. There must be a break with the past. Simply put, strip off the old man or woman, and put on the new man or woman. When we get saved, born again, we are a new creation. The new person is created after God.
Righteousness refers to our new conduct toward our fellowmen. Holiness refers to our new conduct towards God. (Falwell)

I have learned that this is not easy. I start out the day doing all of this, but something happens and here comes my old sin nature popping its ugly head up again. I end up loosing my temper, saying unkind words, and sinning. Surrendering to the Holy Spirit is a constant activity, isn't it?


LET IT GO

Strive to be a vessel of honor.

Keep growing in faith and obedience to Jesus.

Continually put off that old woman, called "sin nature."

No comments:

Post a Comment