Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'm Rich!

Ephesians 2
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus; That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:4-7


LET IT GLOW

I'm rich! I didn't win a lottery (never will play it) nor did I win a sweepstake. I'm rich because my Father is rich. Oh, I'm not talking about my earthly father. He was an ordinary, hard working man, a good provider for his family, and left us children  a small inheritance. You would not recognize his name if I told you. He was not one of the top wealthiest men in our country. No, I'm talking about my heavenly Father, God. He is the one who is rich and He has shared His wealth with you and me.

Paul touched on it in verse 4-God is so rich in mercy and love. We were spiritually dead in our sins; God saw our penitent heart, and quickened us together with Christ; He saw we were in need of a new birth (spiritually), which He provided in Christ. That's why He made us alive with Christ (verse 5).

Holman Dictionary defines quicken as living, alive, make alive.

Wait a minute, it gets better. God raised Christ in a physical resurrection and us in a past spiritual resurrection (at the time of our salvation). Therefore, we have a future physical resurrection coming for us who are living at the time of the Rapture.  As icing on the cake, we will sit with Jesus in heaven.
Also, according to Jerry Falwell, "God has set us down alongside of Christ in the heavenly realms and relations. He dealt with us in Christ and sees us in Christ."

Can it get any better than this? It does. Look at verse 7. 
NLT  says, "So God can point to us in all future ages as examples of the incredible wealth of his grace and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us who are united with Christ Jesus."

Verse 8 talks about the free gift available-our slavation by the gift of grace. Even our faith is a gift. There is no accomplishment of man in any way. Salvation  isn't by works, so that we could boast.
So you agree that I'm rich and so are you as a Christian?


LET IT GROW

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." verse 10

We are God's workmanship, which is poiema  in Greek, meaning masterpiece. (from Liberty Bible Commentary)  We are His handiwork.

Shepherd's Notes says it like this:
 God saves us for a purpose. We are a work of art God is in the process of designing. We are being saved to do good works.  This has been God's plan for us from the beginning, and it's something that begins now.
Paul says " that we should walk in them." God's transforming grace will increasingly result in our doing works that are pleaseing to Him as a part of our lives every day.

Am I walking in such a way that Christ through me does good works?


LET IT GO

Act like I have a free gift of salvation because of God's mercy and love.

Allow Him to work in me, creating a masterpiece, a work of art.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment