Monday, February 21, 2011

Thank You

Philippians 1-Part 2
I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.   Philippians 1:3


LET IT GLOW

Thank you. Those are two simple words that I have always liked to hear. No, my children didn't say thank you to me for washing their dirty clothes when I gave them clean ones to put into their drawers. No, I didn't hear any thanks for cooking supper  when I had them wash the dishes. No, I didn't hear an appreciation for my working to provide a nice house for them to live in, whenever I told them to clean up their bedroom. Did you hear those devoted thanks?  Probably not. But we did them because we loved our family, not for the thank yous. However, a few along the way would have been encouraging, right?

Well, I want to stop and say THANK YOU to all of you who take time out of your busy schedule to read what I write. Even though you may not respond, I know you are there with me, every day. You have become my good friends in the Lord. So put a smile on your face today, girlfriend. This gal appreciates you!

Paul appreciated his Christian friends at Philippi. He said so in his letter to them (verses 3-4). He had a genuine thankful heart. He got happy when he prayed for those people. This congregation had shown love to Paul by their financial support  and their prayers for him.
Here's a man in his sixties and under house arrest for two years in Rome. He wasn't discouraged from sharing the gospel, but was joyful. (verse 18)

Illustrated Bible Handbook tells us:
In verses 2-11, Paul prays the Philippians will abound in love, and have the insight to know "what is best," that they may "be pure and blameless until the day of Christ." (verse 10)
In verses 12-30, Paul wants his friends to see his imprisonment as a good thing, for it has advanced the gospel. (verse 12)  His witness was heard through the whole palace guards and even members of Caesar's household had become believers! The gospel was being preached and it lead the apostle to rejoice.

Although Paul was in prison in his own rented quarters, with guards, he was allowed visitors. He was free in his attitudes, wasn't he? Paul welcomed all who came to him, teaching and preaching Jesus. (Acts 28:30-31)
It was no Park Avenue.

I've never been confined anywhere for two years. What would my attitude be if I were?
Life is hard. We can feel chained to our past and our present. If Paul could live above his unbelievably trying circumstances, so can I. Christ must be my focus.
Am I making a difference in the lives of those closest to me by the way I respond to my circumstances? Are others inspired by my faith, or are the discouraged by my fears? Something to think about.


LET IT GROW

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain," states verse 21.

David Guzik said,"Paul knew that death is not a defeat to the Christian. It is merely a graduation to glory, a net gain for the Christian."

If Paul was killed for not stopping his preaching the gospel, he would gain in two ways-Jesus would be glorified and he would immediatedly be in the presence of the Lord, which was his gain. If he lived, it would be a fruitful life. (Paul was set free, but later martyred later at Rome.) Paul did visit the Philippians again.
Paul was ready to go, but willing to wait.

In verses 25-26, Paul mentions the joy of faith and the Philippians rejoicing. He wants them to continue to joyfully grow in their faith and keep on rejoicing in Jesus. Now is that a challenge to us or what?

Joy in Greek is the the word chara. It means joy, rejoicing, gladness-enjoyment, bliss, to celebrate.
[The Complete Word Study dictionary: New Testament]

I want some of this joy, don't you? Joy is one of the fruit of the Spirit, as I recall. He gives it to me as I surrender to His presence. I remembered studying joy in one of Beth Moore's studies.

In her study, Living Beyond Yourself  by Beth Moore said, "Joy is the result of realizing that our names are written in heaven."

There were others who rejoiced because of their salvation-David in Ps.51:12, 72 witnesses in Luke 10:17-20, and us. Our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. (Revelation 3:5, 7:10, 13:8, 17:8, 20:11-15, 21:11-27) Now this is something to rejoice over! Do I hear an amen?


LET IT GO

Thank you friends for your loyal support and your faithfulness to our Savior.

Live above my circumstances, focused on Christ.

Rejoice in my home in heaven!

Rejoice today!

No comments:

Post a Comment