Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Beginnings

Introduction to Philippians
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.   Philippians 1:6


LET IT GLOW

I like new beginnings. There is a freshness about starting something new, whether its a new project, a new  year, or just a new day. It seems the longer a project drags on, the less enthused I become. Sometimes I lay aside things to finish later. Then I make myself go back and complete several unfinished projects so I can get started on something new that I really want to do. Where does the excitement go?
Why does it wane? Why do I tend to set aside a project later to complete?

There is One who is not like me. God told Samuel in 1 Samuel 3:12b,"When I begin, I will also make an end."

What God begins, He will finish. Paul is very confident about the work God will do through the people in this church at Philippi. In the past there was God's unchangeable purpose (regeneration); in the present there is continuation of God's unlimited power (sanctification); and there will be in the future (glorification), God's unbreakable promise. (Liberty Bible Commentary) This is God's guarantee for the persevering saints.

Isn't it conforting to know God doesn't give up on us? He is continueing His work and is going to complete His purpose and  work in and through me. He doesn't put me aside as I often do my projects, to complete later. He doesn't give up on me. He keeps working on me. He continues molding me into what He wants me to be, more like Christ.

Background to Philippians:
This letter was written while Paul was in prison the first time in Rome arond A.D.63-61. It was written along with other letters-Ephesians, Colossians, and Philemon, to those chruches. This church at Philippi was the first one founded by Paul in Europe, while on his second missionary journey (Acts 16:12-40). Evidently there was a small population of Jews living there, because a synagogue wasn't formed in Philippi (required 10 men) and there were devout women praying along the river's edge. Lydia, a wealthy merchant, became a believer there (Acts 16:14-15). Another convert was the demon-possessed fortune-telling slave girl (Acts 16:16-17). Paul and Silas were beaten and imprisoned there (Acts 16:22-24) as a result. Remember them singing at midnight, and the jailer got saved when an earthquake released the two preachers.
Evidently, Paul visited Philippi twice during his third missionary journey (2Cor. 8:1-5 and Acts 20:6). Several years later, a delegation from the Philippian church visited Paul while he was imprisoned at Rome. They contributed to his work financially. One time Epaphroditus brought it, so Paul sent this letter back with him to this church. Now we have a background of the church. What about the city?

The city of Philippi got its name from Philip II of Macedon. He was the father of Alexander the Great. Philip conquered the region due to the attraction to nearby gold mines (4th century). In the second century, Philippi became part of the Roman porvince of Macedonia. After the Battle of Philippi, Roman army veterans settle in this colony. (In 42 B.C., the forces of Antony and Octavian defeated those of Brutus and Cassius at the Battle of Philippi, thus ending the Roman Republic and ushering in the Empire.) The people were under Roman law and rule.
Latin was their official language. They adoped Roman customs and modeled their city government afater the Italian cities. [Resource: The MacArthur Bible Commentary]

Philippi was a city located on the principal highway from Asia to the West. It was about 800 miles from Rome. The city was an important commercial center due to  abundant resources of timber, metals, and water supplies. There was a 750-foot-high rock cliff that overlooked Philippi. Many religious cults popular at Philippi were sculpted on it. As a person entered the city, they were confronted with the religious symbolism there. Three primary ethnic groups lived there, along with others. They were the Thracians, the Greeks, and the Romans.  [Resource: Shepherd's Notes]

Purpose for the letter according to Shepherd's Notes:
Some members of the Philippian chruch had shown a tendency toward disunity and contentiousness. It faced a challenge from false teachers who diluted or added to God's way for salvation. Paul made his readers aware of the dangers of leagalism, sensuality, and materialistic geed. He prepared the way for his and Timothy's upcoming visit.
The major theme in the letter is joy. This word joy is mentioned four times and rejoice appears nine times.
The verses spelled out the external behavior and the internal attitudes that characterize a person who has genuine joy.

I'm excited to  begin a new book in the Bible. Especially, I'm looking forward to hearing about joy, which I need more of in my life.
So I found this outline in Illustrated Bible Handbook:
Joy in the Gospel-chapter 1
Joy in following Jesus-chapter 2
Joy through Commitment-chapter 3
Joy in the Lord-chapter 4

LET IT GO

Be confident that God will continue to work in me.

Hold on to the fact that He will complete His purpose in me, even if I'm willing or not.

Look to Jesus for my joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment