Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Making the Most of It

Ephesians 5-Part 2
Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.          Ephesians 5:15-16 (NIV)


LET IT GLOW

During the last few years, we have had a lot of ice along with a snowy winter. This resulted in the power lines being encased with ice and we had no electricity for a week at a time. So my hubby and I made the most of the situation. We burned wood in the fireplace during the day, lit the small bathroom heater to keep pipes from freezing at night, then hightailed it over to our son's house to sleep in a warm bed and toasty house, to which we are grateful.
After a few years of this being repeated, we bought a generator. Now we are ready. Funny thing is, this winter, the power didn't go out, but our water froze. Well, I always say, "Life is full of challenges. It's how you handle them that counts." (By noon, our wonderful son got our water thawed and running again.)

Everywhere we turn, we have opportunities coming at us to entise us to invest our time and energy.
(I have to guard my prayer and Bible study time, along with family time.) Distractions come and I'm filling my schedule with good things, leaving no time for God's best. Time is precious to me. Am I investing it wisely?
(Reference: Experiencing God Day-By-Day Devotional)

Liberty Bible Commentary reminds us:
Buy up the opportunity. The Greek present tense denotes "keep on buying." The price to be paid is self-denial and strenuous work. There's opportunities to serve the Lord, to witness for Christ, to be a channel of blessing, and to advance the cause of Christ. We must recognize the opportunity, appreciate it, and take hold of it for God's glory.

Am I making the most of my time and seizing my opportunities for the Lord?


LET IT GROW

In the first part of this chapter, Paul instructs us on the Christian walk. He warns us against immorality, instructs on walking in wisdom, and submission within marriage. Of course, the Christian walk is the Christian way of life. Are you ready to go walking with me?

*Walk in love. (verse 2)
  We are to be an imitator of God, so we live a life of love and forgiveness toward others.

*Walk as children of the light. (verse 8b)
   Light exposes good fruit-goodness, righteousness, and truth, which are fruit of the Spirit. (verse 9)
   Light exposes motives and what is pleasing to God. (verse 10)
   Light exposes evil activity and unfruitful works of darkness when seen in the light of Christ. (verse 12)
   Light cleanses when exposed to darkness, just as Christ can heal the sinful heart. (verse 13-14)

*Walk carefully. (verse 15-16) Wisely invest our time, witnessing for Christ. Seize opportunities, because if
   they are missed, they can't be rerunned.
   [Resource: Shepherd's Notes]

Lord, help me to not stumble and fall into sin  as I walk this journey You have for me.


LET IT GO

Make the most of my time, not wasting it on selfish and worldly desires.

Walk (live) carefully, lovingly, and in the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment