Monday, February 14, 2011

Best Dressed Gal in Town

Ephesians 6-Part 2
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.  Ephesians 6:10


LET IT GLOW

Are you like me, in that you enjoy trying on new clothes? It is especially fun since I've lost 15 pounds and have maintained it for the past 4 years. Now I don't need a bigger size to cover up those sags and hangovers. I like looking okay. Since I know what colors and styles look best on me, my hunt has good results. Thanks goes to Shari Braendel's book, Good Girls Don't Have to Dress Bad. My goal isn't to be the best dressed gal in town physically, but I would like it spiritually speaking. In the last part of this chapter, Paul tells me how I can be. Are you ready to join me in putting on something new? Here we go. (The best part is that it is free to us. Jesus already paid the price.)

Paul gives us three commands: "Be strong in the Lord," " put on the whold armor of God," and "take your stand against the devil's schemes." How can I be strong?

I. Be strong in the Lord. (verse 10)
   In the Greek, it means "be strengthened." We are to be empowered for the battle, these spiritual conflicts
   of  life. How? Our power comes from Christ's might and the Father's might.

   Ephesians 1:19-22a  states, "And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who
   believe, according to the working of his mighty power. Which he wrought in Christ, when he
   raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all
   principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this
   world, but also in that which is to come. And has put all things under his feet."

   Our God is all powerful. Not only did He create everything, He raised my Savior from the dead. Why, He is the most powerful thing in the universe, don't you agree? Then He is more powerful than the devil. This is the one I have to watch out for, be alert to his schemes. He's the chief of darkness and lies, which wants me to stumble and fall into sin, even loose faith and turn my back on my Savior. He isn't always that roaring lion, but he can be beautiful, after all, he's a created angel.

"The power of God is available to every believer through the power of the indwelling Spirit," states Shepherds Notes. It refers us to chapter 3 verses 14-21.

How do I tap into God's power and be strengthened for these daily battles? Paul is very direct in his instructions. Read on friend.

LET IT GROW

II. Put on the whole armor of God. (verse 11)
     This means I clothe myself with the necessary equipment for battle. Paul tells us what particular items to
     put on so we are prepared for this spiritual battle. He pictures the Christian soldier being outfitted for a
     battle.  God supplies this complete armor and expects us Christians to put it on. It is in order that we may
     stand our ground and not retreat or fall in the struggle (James 4:7).
     Notice we are to "take our stand against the devil's schemes." Just as Satan wants to gain victory in
     combat, so do I.

III. Take your stand against the devil's schemes. (verse 11)  
      "The devil's wiles are attractive, deceptive, and ensnaring. Satan is a personal enemy, a great adversary,
       a  slanderous accuser, and a malignant foe. He uses clever and crafty methods to deceive," states  
       Liberty Bible Commentary.

     The word stand could be a military term used to indicate either "to take over," or it could mean "to stand
     and hold out in a critical position in a battlefield. (Shepher's Notes)

     We have to have sure footing because this is a face-to-face, hand-to-hand, foot-to-foot wrestling match,
      not a Sunday School picnic. Verse 12 tells us we aren't fighting against flesh and blood. These are
      spiritual enemies, so our armor is of a spiritual nature.

      The purpose of the armor is that we may hold our ground firmly, completely, gloriously, and victoriously.
       (Falwell)

Today, I understand my need for the armor of God. In the next lesson, we will identify each part and discuss
them. Be sure not to miss it. Read on through the rest of the chapter and you will know all about it. Please don't be tempted to skip it. I still want to be the best dressed gal in town, with my spiritual clothing, that is.


LET IT GO

Be strong in the Lord's power, not mine.

Put on the full armor of God daily.

Stand against the devil's schemes in God's power.

No comments:

Post a Comment