Thursday, July 5, 2012

What is Precious to Me?

556.  "What is Precious to Me?"             July 5, 2012
1 Peter 2-Part 4
Unto you therefore which believe He is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. 1 Peter 2:7-8

LET IT GLOW

What is precious to me? What is precious to you? What do I spend my time, money, efforts, energy on? Of course I would answer family, friends, God's Word, Jesus, in various order at different times of the day. Really, though, what is most precious to me? If the house caught on fire, what would I make sure was out of the house, safe? My family and Bible are my truthful answers. Then my purse, which I would have to look for because I don't put it in the same place any given day. Pictures of family gone on. The list could go on and on.

What does Peter describe as precious? The NIV says, Now to you who believe, this stone is precious...

Precious means of great value; held in great esteem, dear, according to Webster's Dictionary.
Precious, in this verse, means praise of which one is judged worthy, according to Thayer's Lexicon.

Is Jesus precious to me?
Is He dear to me?
Do I always esteem Him above all else?
How much do I count Jesus worthy of my praise?
How dear is Jesus to me?
Is He so dear that I can't live without Him, without talking to Him throughout the day, without praising and thanking Him for His daily gifts, without loving Him and spending time with Him?
Things to ponder. He deserves to be number 1 in my life.

LET IT GROW

Christianity is a matter of one's attitude toward Jesus Christ. This choice stone, Jesus Christ, is  valuable in that we honor, respect, and worship Him. He is the Chief Cornerstone and foundation of salvation for some. (Falwell)

He is the foundation of salvation. I like that, Brother Falwell.

To unbelievers, Jesus:
  • is the stone they reject,
  • has become a stone of stumbling,
  • is a rock of offense and are offended by Him,
  • causes them to stumble at the Word, and fall,
  • is the cause of destruction for those who refuse to believe in Him.
Isaiah 8:14 is what Peter is quoting here. It continues to say, And for the people of Jerusalem He will be a atrap and a snare. (NIV)

Their feet strike against it, the Rock Jesus, because they are disobedient to God's message.

Christ is like a stone in the road that causes a traveler to fall. Unbelief is their disobedience, since the call of the gospel to repent and believe is a command from God. These were appointed to doom because of their disobedience and unbelief. Judgment on unbelief is as divinely appointed as salvation by faith. (MacArthur)

Am I helping others stop stumbling around and come to Jesus in repentance?

A I stumbling in my Christian walk because I am not obeying God's Word?

Is His Word offensive to me, so I don't read it nor apply it?

Do I pick and choose what part of the Christian path I want to walk on-promises, grace, mercy, yet don't give it to others?

Yes, His Word is a two-edged sword, cutting my soul to the quick.

LET IT GO

Be sure Jesus is the most precious thing to me.
Help others to not stumble over Jesus, but bring them to salvation in Him.

Make sure my words and actions do not cause people to stumble and prevent them from coming to Jesus because of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment