Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sufferings

569.  "Sufferings"                 JULY 24, 2012
1Peter 3-Part 7
And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: And be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled.  
1 Peter 3:13-14

LET IT GLOW

Lately I have been accident prone. By that I mean I have had a few accidents that were of my own doing. Such things as hitting my nose on the rock porch when I was pushing a yard light into the dry ground.
Oh, there was another thing that happened the other day. Since we had a cow get out twice, and when I saw the gate leaning somewhat, I decided to straighten it up so there was less chance of her getting out again. As I lifted the heavy gate, it slipped and hit the middle knuckle of my second finger. It swelled and bruised before I could get the ice. (You should have seen the homemade splint I used-a broken handle of a plastic spoon wrapped with tape. I didn't wear it to church, though.)
I am always bumping into things or stubbing my toe, hitting my head. Do you do those things, too? Maybe this is not the suffering Peter was talking about. I have had some of the other kinds, too.

Now who will want to harm you if you are eager to do good? But if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don't worry or be afraid of their threats. NLT

It is unusual for people to mistreat those who are zealous for good. Even a hostile world is slow to hurt people who are benefactors of society, who are kind and caring, but it does happen. (MacArthur)

Our enemies might hurt us, but they cannot harm us. Only we can harm ourselves if we fail to trust God.(Wiersbe)

If I do what is right and suffer for it, then I will be rewarded by God. That is encouraging.

In Romans 8:34, Paul asked,"Who could condemn you?" It is God who is the only One who has the authority to condemn me, and He justified me and committed judgment to His Son Jesus (John 5:22).

Romans 8:1 says, There is therefore now no condemnation to the which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Isn't that good news, friends?

LET IT GROW

In verses 13-17, Peter talkes about the principle of suffering for righteousness. He says we are:
  • happy, blessed, privileged, honored we are for suffering.(verse 14)  Jesus taught about it in Matthew 5:10 in the Beatitudes.
  • to not be afraid nor troubled. (verse 14)"Live in submissive communion with the Lord Jesus, loving and obeying Him-and you have nothing to fear." John MacArthur
  • to sanctify the Lord God in your heart. Reverence Christ as Lord. Set Him apart as Lord in my heart.
  • to be ready to give an answer with certainty and assurance of your hope of salvation when asked.
  • to do it with meekness and fear, with humility toward men and reverence and worship toward God. (Why am I a Christian? What do I believe?
  • have a good conscience, so you are doing right and their accusations are false. The conscience accuses a person of sin using producing guilt, shame, doubt, fear, anxiety, or despair. Confess and ask Jesus to forgive me is how I can prevent those.
How's my attitude? Am I honored to suffer for Christ? Do I turn the other cheek, and not to grumble?
Guilty.

LET IT GO

Consider it an honor to suffer for Christ my Savior.

Keep Him as Lord in and of my heart.

Be ready to give an answer for my hope.

Keep a clear conscience, free from sin by confessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment