Monday, July 16, 2012

Lives of Wives

563.  " Lives of Wives"         July 16, 2012
1 Peter 3-Part 1
Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives. While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.  1 Peter 3:1-2

LET IT GLOW

I will admit that growing up the youngest child of three, being seven and ten years younger, resulted in my being extremely spoiled. I began the teenage years basically an only child. My sibblings were off to college/married by that time. I got to watch tv shows I liked, most of the time. I went on shopping sprees with Mom (got any 3 piece outfits and shoes I wanted ). I had the freedom to go almost anywhere I wanted. Money was available at my asking. Few chores were demanded of me. My goodness, was I a spoiled thing! At the time, I didn't realize it. Now that you know my background, you will understand why my marriage at age 18 was very rocky. My husband, on the other hand, was the oldest of seven children. He was very used to being in charge. Needless to say, I had some adjusting to do that first year. (Truthfully, a lot of adjusting.) We didn't live the same lifestyle to which I was accustomed. We made it, although some said it wouldn't last long. A rich girl married a poor boy in the world's eyes. We will celebrate our 40th anniversary in November.
Thank the Lord for His help. I hope it lasts another 40. I love you dear! Thank you for putting up with me.
You can see that I had a lot to learn about being married-loving, giving, serving, submitting. We were both Christians at the time, but Peter gives instructions to those wives whose husband is not a Christian.

Here's how lost husbands may be converted:
-without a word; her holy conduct, lifestyle of faith; no lectures, no nagging, no criticizing;
- her being in subjection to him; subjection means to yield to one's advice, to submit to one's control,
  under; cheerfully and godly submitting to husband, if it doesn't violate God's laws (Acts 4:19) and
  causes us to sin;
-chaste conversation; chaste means pure from every fault; conversation means manner of life,
  behavior, conduct; don't lead a sinful lifestyle;
-fear of God (Eph. 5:33); reverence, respect, honor.

Christian wives can win their husbands to the Lord just by applying humility and by being a good wife. (Falwell)

An unbelieving husband sees the gospel which his wife believes must be true. (Grudem)

Let God his way in your husband; demonstrate your trust in God; submit to God's way. (Guzik)

LET IT GROW

Being a servant means one who gives themself up wholly to another's will. How's my willingness?

Proper submission in the home follows the same principles of subjection towards government or employers. It's a submisssion of not only of the actions, but of the heart-as demonstrated by surrendered heart of Jesus (2:21-25).
So if you are a new believer, don't leave your husband who is not a believer in Jesus. Don't assume a superior position over him either. Show Jesus' love and humility.
If both husband and wife are Christians, we can still apply these principles, too, ladies.
Why submit? Warren Wiersbe, in his book, Be Hopeful, says:
  • Submission is an obligation. God has commanded it because, in His wisdom, He knows that this is the best arrangement for a happly, fulfilling marriage.
  • Submission is an opportunity. Wives minister, serve, and honor Jesus as they do also to the husband.
  • Submission is an ornament. She is clothed in humility, an inner beauty.
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Colossian 3:18
Older women are to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.  Titus 2:5
In the same way, you wives, must accept the authority of your husbands. (NIV)

The Message says The same goes for you wives: Be good wives to your husbands responsive to their needs. There are husbands who, indifferent as they are to any words about God, will be captivated by your life of holy beauty. What matters is not your outer appearance-the styling of your heari, the jewelry you wear, the cut of your clothes-but your inner disposition.

How's my disposition? How's the temperature of my submission?

LET IT GO

Let go of self and submit to my husband.

Recognize my husband as the authority of our home.

Serve him as " king of our castle" today.

Honor Jesus in my submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment