Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Priorities

560.  "Priorities"                  July 11, 2012
1 Peter 2-Part 8
Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.  1 Peter 2:17

LET IT GLOW

What are my prioritites? Do I stop typing a lesson when hubby has a newpaper article or a bit from a book to share with me? Do I try to get all my computer work done before my granddaughter enters the door of my house? Do I listen as a friend calls unexpectantly and needs to talk on the phone? Do I drop what I'm doing to speak with a neighbor on her walk?  Do I spend enough time with Jesus in praise and prayer daily? Am I hungry for the Word as I am for breakfast? Am I thirsty for His Spirit as a cold glass of iced tea?
Sometimes one needs to back off and take a look at herself with Jesus' eyes. Am I pleasing my Savior? What are my priorities? Is showing love at the top? Peter pretty well sums up his priorities in one verse. since your're walking with me on this dusy country road, won't you take a few minutes and join me on my porch swing and we will discuss this verse? (I'll get us some iced tea. Sweet or unsweet?)

1. I think I would place fear God first in this group. How about you?
Matthew Henry said, "Fear God with the highest reverence, duty, and submission; if this is wanting, none of the other three duties can be performed as they ought."
Who is ultimately giving us these commands? God is through Peter.
Fear is used of His devout worshipers, according to Thayer's Lexicon. to cause fear, terrify, is how Young's Concordance explains the Greek word phobeo.(Sounds like phobea.)
Do I really fear Him Who holds my eternity in His hands? I tend to be more of a buddy with Jesus than fearing His position as All Mighty God, El Shaddiah.
2. I would place second the phrase love the brotherhood.
Love used in this verse is the Greek word agapao. It refers to a beloved, felt a love for. (Thayer's Lexicon)
This love has other verses listed under it in Young's Concordance. It also includes love:
  • your neighbor (Matt. 5:43; 19:19; Rom. 13:9; Gal. 5:14;James 2:8)
  • your enemies (Matt. 5:44)
  • the Lord thy God (Matt. 22:37)
  • one another (John 13:34;1Peter 1:2;1John 3:11,4:7,12; 2John 2:5)
  • walking in love (Eph. 5:2)
  • your wives, you husbands (Eph. 5-6, Col.3:19)
  • righteousness (Heb. 1:9)
  • the brethren (1John 3:14, 4:21)
NLT  says Respect everyone, and love your Christian bothers and sisters. Fear God, and respect the king.
NIV says Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

The Message says Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.

If I love my brothers and sisters in Christ, then I won't criticize, judge, hurt them.

LET IT GROW

3. I would place thrid the phrase honor all men.

Honor means to estimated, fix the value; for the value of something belonging to one's self; to revere. (Thayer's Lexicon)

Respect every man as a fellow creature, as one who may be a fellow heir with you of eternal life. (Clarke)

Highly esteemed is the idea of honor. It refers not just to obedient duty but inner respect. (MacArthur)

Do I honor or respect all people? It should not matter about the place they hold, believer or unbeliever, rich or poor, Jew or Gentile, janitor or preacher. I should show grace to all.

4. The last direction given is to honor the king.
Should it matter what view he holds to or doesn't hold to? I am to respect the office which he holds, and recall that God allows him to be there.

Caesar was the Roman emperor and Nero was the persecuting wicked ruler. Those Christians living at that time had it really bad, some killed for their belief in Christ. Yet they were told to honor the king. Shouldn't it be easier for me?

LET IT GO

Honor, love, and fear all people, brethren, God, and the king.

No comments:

Post a Comment