Thursday, July 12, 2012

Can You Take It?

561.  "Can You Take It?"                       July 12, 2012
1 Peter 2-Part 9
Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? But if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
1 Peter 2:18-21


LET IT GLOW

Can you take it? I have been an employee where I was yelled at while my boss was in my face, telling me what I was doing wrong. I didn't quit, though. I took the criticism and did what he wanted. They didn't think I could do it. They thought I would quit my job and they would be done with my Christian influence. Jesus gave me strength to sit quietly through it all. As a result, I later gave my testimony to coworkers and the plan of salvation to my class of first graders, of which some got saved. The rest of the story is, I worked at a Christian school at the time.
So I can take it when I am unjustly wronged, but I haven't always done it. Can you? Only through Jesus' strength and grace can we keep our cool. (Let me tell you, I cried when I got out in the parking lot, on the drive home, and all week end.)

What pleases God? That a person can endure pain while suffering unjustly for the sake of his godly conscience. (Falwell)

God can give us the grace to submit and "take it" and in this way glorify God. (Wiersbe)

Anyone can take it when he deserves it. It's when you don't deserve the chewing out that is hard.

Matthew 5:10-12 talks about being persecuted for righteousness sake, when you are reviled(insulted),  persecuted, and falsely accused. Yours is the kingdom of heaven. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven.

LET IT GROW

Peter talks about our relationship with worldly authorities in previous verses. Now he is talking about our relationship toward worldly masters. We don't have slaves now days, but we are employees.

How are we to act?
New International Version tells us:
  • Submit to your employers with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.
  • Suffer for doing good and endure it, this is commendable before God.
  • Bear up under the pain of unjust suffering because you are conscious of God.
  • You were called to this because Christ suffered for you.
  • Christ left you an example that you should follow in His steps.
Am I following in His steps? Do I take revenge or leave it to God when wrongly treated? Is grumbling and criticism heard from me about the situation? Oh me. I haven't always reacted in the right way.

LET IT GO

Give the situation to Jesus for Him to handle.

Love my enemies and those that despitefully use me.

Follow in Jesus steps today.

Suffer fro doing good, not bad or wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment