Friday, July 13, 2012

A Cow is Out

562.  " A Cow is Out"              July 13, 2012
1 Peter 2-Part 10
Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

LET IT GLOW

Cows go astray outside of fences. A cow got out of the fenced-in field somewhere this morning. She was eating grass in our yard. I knew something was wrong because the herd was mooing, which I call tattling on her. We got her back in, but she was hesitant. Aren't people like that? We go astray from God in prayer, stop reading His Word, skip church services, wonder around in the world. Then before we know it we have totally gone astray from God. Okay, I should have used I instead of we. Like sheep or cows, I go astray. I am so thankful that my Good Shepherd Jesus brings me back.


Peter walked and talked with Jesus. He was one of the disciple. He conveys this about Christ, the Messiah:
  • He knew no sin. He patiently endured unjust suffering  because He was sinless. Jesus' innocence meant that His execution was undeserved. (Is. 53:9) though Jesus lived in the likeness of sinful flesh, though He looked like a sinful man, though He was born of a sinful woman, He committed no sin. (Gill)
  • He reviled not when He was reviled. Revile refers to abuse in speech or writing. (Webster's Dictionary) Jesus neither resented insults nor sufferings inflicted upon Him. (People's N.T.) Jesus didn't grumble under His breath, behind their back, but kept loving those mean people. There was no immorality in His conversation.
  • He threatened not when He suffered. Although Jesus could have called thousands of angels to rescue Him and kill His enemies, He did not do it. He carried out God's plan instead.
  • He committed Himself to God who judges righteously. Jesus gave our judgment between Him and His enemies to God to handle. He left it up to God.
  • He bore our sins in His own body on the cross. Christ died for our sins, not His own. He took our punishment meating the requirements of a holy God, which is a blood sacrifice.
  • He did it so we should live unto righteousness. As sinners, we are crucified with Christ, baptized into His death, then raised to walk in newness of life. Jesus trusted in God's sovereignty and in His working good in the suffering. If we suffer, God has allowed it, not caused it. It's due to sinful choices of people.
  • He heals us spiritually by His stripes. (Is. 53:5-6) Jesus was wounded, bruised, chastised, beaten in our place so we don't have to pay for our sins.
  • He is our Shepherd. Is. 53:6 calls us sheep who have gone astray. Our sins led us away from God.
  • He is our Bishop. Jesus watches over us and cares for us as a pastor of a church does.
Do I really comprehend all that Jesus did for me? Do I fluff it off or do I daily thank Him?

LET IT GROW

Verse 24 says that as believers in Christ, we are dead to sins and should live unto righteousness.

Being dead (apoginomai in Greek) means litterally to "move away from," and might be better translatted, "that we might die to sin and live to righteousness." The thought is that the life of Christian humility which is being exhorted here is a basic part of the reason for Christ's death on the cross.

How often do I die to sin and live to righteousness? Am I resisting temptations to sin or yielding? Do I have a right relationship with God throughout the day? Do I walk and talk with Him as I go?
Do I trust Jesus to be my Good Shepherd and Bishop? Am I trusting His decisions?

LET IT GO

Watch my words.

Resist temptations to sin.

Trust Jesus as my Good Shepherd to not lead me astray as I follow Him.

Trust Hinm for my provisions.

Thank You Jesus, for all You did for me when dying on the cross in my place.







    No comments:

    Post a Comment