Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Mini Skirts

554. "Mini Skirts"                                     July 3, 2012
1 Peter 2-Part 3
Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God, by Jesus Christ.   1 Peter 2:5

LET IT GLOW

"Isn't that dress too short?"Dad would ask me.
I am sorry to say, but as a teenager growing up in the 70's, I wore mini skirts. Oh, they weren't as short as some girls wore them, but they were welllllll  above my knees. Dad put a limit on how high they could go up my leg, for which  I am grateful now. So I used my freckle in the middle of my right leg as a guage in placing the hems. (Actually, that was too short, too.) But I had to make the length of my skirts acceptable to my father. That  came to mind as I read what was acceptable to God, my Heavenly Father. I wanted to look a little closer at what pleases Him. Will you join me?

Hebrews 13:15-16 says, By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

What sacrifices pleases God today? What is a sacrifice?
Sacrifice, here, means a free gift; praise is a thank offering, a sacrifice of praise presented to God for some benefit received.(Thayer's Lexicon)

What kind of free gift can I give the God who owns everything? Praise  and thanks is what He wants. His are innumerable-salvation, breath of life, unending love and forgiveness, mercy and grace, patience, and so much more. do good and share with others. Give to those in need and communicate with the poor. These acts are done in faith and spring from love.

LET IT GROW

Looking at our key verse, Wiersbe said, "Christians don't bring animal sacrifices as did the Old Testament worshippers, but we do have our own sacrifices to present to God."

These spiritual sacrifices are:
  • my body as a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1-2)
  • praise of my lips (Heb. 13:15)
  • good works done  for others (Heb. 13:16)
  • money and other material things (Phil 4:10-20)
  • people won to Christ for His glory (Rom. 15:16)
  • thanksgiving (Ps. 107:22, 116:17)
Since believers can act as priests, we can come to our High Priest, Jesus, and bring Him our sacrifices. We don't go through a man on earth, but have direct access to the Father God through Jesus our sacrifice for our sins, my High Priest. He can go to God anytime, not just once a year, as Old Testament priests did. Such grace and mercy!

How often do I bring my sacrifices of praise to God? Are they acceptable to Him?

Having grown up, raised a daughter, and trying to please my Lord today, I don't wear mini skirts. (Just so you know.) My skirts are now well below the knees. (But I don't have a frickle to guage where to place the hem.) No only do I try to please Jesus with my appearance, but with my heart, also.


LET IT GO

Drop  the criticism and grumpiness.

 Praise and thank the Lord today with a grateful heart.

Throughout the day, continue to thank God for the little things and big things.

Sing His praises. Jesus is the Risen Savior that is alive!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment