Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hair, Jewelry, and Clothing

564.  "Hair, Jewelry, and Clothing"                  July 17, 2012
1 Peter 3-Part 2
Whose (wives) adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.   1 Peter 3:3-4


LET IT GLOW

Not many came to visit her, this widow of about forty years, living alone in the house her husband built. She always dressed in old duster, clean and ironed shift dress with old black tie-up granny shoes, gray hair in a bun, no make-up, just age on her face, no fancy jewelry. That was always her appearance, the same every time I came to visit. She spent her days gardening, flowers and vegetables, preserving food, cooking for grandchildren, reading, crocheting, and other home-bound activites. (She lived to be one hundred.) A Bible was always sitting next to her handiwork. She was the sweetest little old lady, my Aunt Artie. She always dropped what she was doing and sat down to visit whenever I came. She listened to how things were going in my life, my family, immediate and extended. Time seemed to stop moving when I entered her door, or walked through the sweet aroma of petunias.

She showed me her latest crocheting project, gave my some precious houseshoes she made, a gift from the heart. Always had to give me some fresh vegetables to take home. Pointed out her latest new flowers. Showed me old family pictures. Her house was filled with love and so was her life. There was always a smile on her face." Ohhhh!" was her expression of excitement. Giving, caring, and sharing. I loved my aunt Artie. Why didn't I visit her more often? Although she was not a beauty queen, she was a very beautiful lady to me.

That's what Peter is talking about here in this chapter.

Real beauty comes from the hidden person of the heart. It isn't something you wear or primp for. It is something you are. Inner beauty of a godly woman is incorruptible. It doesn't decay or get worse with age. It only gets better with age, and is of so much more value that the beauty that comes from the hair, jewelry, clothing. (Guzik)

Thayer's Lexicon says:
adorning means ornament, decoration (orderly arrangement-Strong's Concordance);
plaiting refers to the interweaving, braiding, a knot; an elaborate gathering of the hair into knots;
gold refers to golden ornaments, precious things made of gold;
apparel is a dress, inner or outer apparel, cloke, clothes, garment, robe.

How is my appearance? Am I decorating myself too much, overdoing it? Am I trying to be June Cleaver? Or am I the opposite and sloppy, unclean in my appearance?

Peter was not condemning all outward adornment. His condemnation is for incessant preoccupation with the outward to the disregard of one's character. Every Christian woman is especially to concentrate on developing that chaste and reverent Christlike character. (MacArthur)

In Peter's day, women dyed their hair and wore wigs, too. What is the source of my beauty?

With what am I reoccupied? What takes up my time, money, energy, and thoughts?

Nancy Leigh DeMoss, in her book, Lies Women Believe, says:
The outward appearance of the Christian woman is to reflect a heart that is simple, pure, and well-ordered; her clothing and hairstyles should not be distracting or draw attention to herself by being extravagant, extreme, or indecent. In this way, she reflects the true condition of her heart and her relationship with the Lord, and she makes the Gospel attractive to the world. You belong to the King-you are royalty. Dress and conduct yourself in a way that reflects your high and holy calling. Don't think, dress, or act like the world.
(See 1 Timothy 2:9-10, Proverbs 31)
I want my appearance to reflect a heart that is simple, pure, and well-ordered. How is  my clothing and hairstyle? Do they draw attention to me and not pointing others to Jesus? How is the condition of my heart? Is it submissive to Jesus and my husband?

Beauty must come from the heart, not the store. (Wiersbe)

Regardless of what potions, pills, or procedures I purchasse, I know there is a process taking place in my physical body that will not be reversed this side of eternity. (DeMoss)

Hair, jewelry, and clothes-don't let them preoccupy my time, nor cause men to stumble into wrong thoughts and sin. Honor the Lord with my appearance. Stay fit and trim according to my age. Make sure my clothing is not youthful looking.

LET IT GROW

Now that we got the outside its proper perspective, let's get work on the inside. The hidden person of the heart-this is where the true beauty lies, ladies. It is real, always present, never fades, grows.

What is worth a great price and precious in the sight of God? A meek and quiet spirit (inside a lady).

According to Thayer's Lexicon, meek means mild, humble; quiet means tranquil; (still and peaceable-Strong's Concordance)

How's my attitude and graditude? Am I prideful or meek and gentle, loud or quiet?

Scripture doesn't condemn physical beauty or suggest the outward appearance does not matter. What is condemned is taking pride in God-given beauty, giving excessive attention to physical beauty, or tending to physical matters while neglecting matters of the heart. (DeMoss)

Am I cultivating my inner beauty, character, and radiance that are pleasing to God and last forever?

Focus on those things that God says matter most-things like letting His Spirit cultivate in me a gracious, wise, kind, loving heart, with fruit of the Spirit.

Keep studying His Word, friends. Keep praying sweet ones. God looks upon the heart, as He told Samuel when he was searching for a new king God wanted.

Titus 2:3-4 directs the young woman. You may be one or you have a daughter who is one. Either way, it is directive.

LET IT GO

What do I need to change in my heart? Be submissive to God's ways, not my ways.

What does my appearance say about my heart? Be conservative and feminine, not flashy.

Wear truth, love, gentleness, joy.

Let go of the worldly ways and let Jesus lead me.

Evaluate my hair, jewelry, clothing, and character.

Be beautiful inside and out.






















When I think of  

No comments:

Post a Comment