Friday, July 6, 2012

Legacy of Love

557.  "Legacy of Love"                    July 6, 2012
1 Peter 2-Part 5
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people: that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.   1 Peter 2:9-10

LET IT GLOW

For those who are new comers in reading my blog: I write these posts as a legacy to leave my children and grandchildren, showing how God has worked in my life, applying His Word to me. That is why I am writing in the first person, using "I" so much. It isn't that I am so self-centered, but perhaps as you read it, you can apply it to yourself also. I just wanted to explain. Thanks for your patiece.
Comments are welcome, friends, so feel free to add anytime. We can have a different perspective.

What am I? When my great-great-grandchildren look at my picture and writings, what will they know about my life, my faith? Will they find Jesus there? Oh, how I pray they will!
My answers can be the generic-wife, mother, grandmother, friend, sister, aunt. But do people recognize me as a Christian? Does my face show it? Do they hear my faith in my words? Do they see the love of the Savior in my deeds? Not always, so I have work to do.  I want to leave a legacy of love.

What does Peter say I am, we are as believers in Christ?
  • a chosen generation,
  • a royal priesthood,
  • a holy nation,
  • a peculiar people,
  • the people of God,
  • obtained mercy.
Peter is using the words from Exodus 19:6 and Isaiah 43:2. He considers that the privileges and responsibilities of Israel in the Old Testament are now being transferred to the church as the people of God in his own day. (Falwell)

As a church and as individuals, we are the "spiritual Israel" through the new birth. Because Christ is their King and Priest, believers are a royal priesthood. The "spiritual Israel" of believers are God's own possession. Peter used three images to describe the church: a living body, a building, and a nation. The church built on the Living Stone, Jesus Christ, produces spiritual sacrifices and reflects the glories of God. (Shepherd's Notes) 

The MacArthur Bible Commentary says:
Christians are chosen by God to salvation. A royal preisthood is not only a priesthood that belongs to and serves the king, but is also a priesthood which exercises rule. This will ultimately be fulfilled in Christ's future kingdom (1 Cor. 6:1-4). Until Israel's future aceptance of its Messiah, Jesus Christ, God has replaced the nation with the church. We are His special people. We proclaim His praises. Proclaim, found no other place in the NT, means to tell forth, to tell something not otherwise known. Praises are excellencies, virtues, eminent qualities. We, Jews and Gentiles, now have obtained mercy. God has eternal mercy on His elect church by forgiving their sins and eliminating their judgment. (Hosea 1:6-10) Believers have been brought under the mercy of God by faith in Christ, under the New Covenant. (Eph. 2:4-13)


If there is a need in my life, I don't have to go through a priest in order to hear from King Jesus. I have direct access to Him as a royal priesthood. Am I interceeding for others, taking their needs to the King?

LET IT GROW

Am I showing forth the praises of Him who called me out of darkness into His marvellous light?

Show forth (exangello in Greek), means to tellout, and refers to the preaching of the gospel, the good news, or praises of God. Christ is the "Light of the World," found in Isaiah 9:2. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Jesus sent Paul to the Gentiles as a witness to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.  (Acts 26:18)

I am so grateful that His mercy is shown to me, a Gentile. How can we but praise God!

LET IT GO

Remember that I am a chosen, peculiar person, child of God,  priest, who has obtained God's mercy.
Act like it!
Thank You Jesus for Your love, salvation, and plans.

Extend my prayer list.

No comments:

Post a Comment