Monday, July 30, 2012

As Fast as a Flash

573.  "As Fast as a Flash"             July 30, 2012
1 Peter 4-Part 3
But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer. 1 Peter 4:7


LET IT GLOW

Do you remember those cameras that required a flash be attatched in order to take pictures not in the sunshine? Yes, I had some of those. (telling my age) Some cameras required a cube with four flashes inside, others required a long, rectangle shape with several flashes inside it. Now days, however,  the flash is inside the camera. Anyway, the flash would go off when I took a picture in the shadows. It was for a clearer picture, adding light to a face. When I pressed the button, in a flash the flash would flash. I got to thinking how life passes by in a flash. Fifty years went by as fast as a flash. I wonder if the return of Jesus will seem like that to Him.

John MacArthur tells us that end means not as if something simply stops, but it means a consummation, a goal achieved, a result attained, or a realization. Peter here begins to emphasize triumphant suffering through the Second Coming of Christ, which is the goal of all things. He is calling believers to live obediently and expectantly in the light of Christ's return.

The New Testament writers talked about the end time when Jesus returns. Christians in the early church expected Jesus to return in their lifetime (Rom. 13:12). They expected it to happen in their day and so do we. Of course, two thousand years have passed since Peter wrote these words. The possibility is that it could happen any second, any flash of time. So we believers in the Word of God should live knonwing that the "end of all things is sure."
The fact that He did not return does not invalidate His promise (2Peter 3:8). Has it only been two days since Jesus left earth?

Do I live with expectancy and an urgency? Am I sharing the Gospel so others can be ready for the rapture?

LET IT GROW

How can I live a life that brings glory to God? Peter gives us his "ten commandments":
1. Be sober (verse 7)
2. Watch unto prayer. (verse 7)
3. Have fervenat love. (verse 8)
4. Use hospitality. (verse 9)
5. Minister your spiritual gifts. (verses 10-11)
6. Think it not strange. (verse 12)
7. Rejoice. (verse 13)
8. Do not be ashamed. (verses 15-16)
9. Glorify God. (verses 16-18)
10. Commit yoiurself to God. (verse 19)

Looking at verse 7, I am to be sober and watch unto prayer. Sober means to be of sound mind; to curb one's passions; watch refers to being calm, collected in spirit unto the offering of prayer. (Thayer's Lexicon)

Am I serious and not swept away by my emotions or passions? I shouldn't be a fanatic who does nothing abut wait for Christ's return. Instead, I should have a watchful pursuit of holiness. I'm a citizen of heaven, just passing through here on my way there. am I serving God to my full capacity?

If I am knocked out of balance by worldly lusts and pursuits, then I can't know the fullness of holy communion ibn prayer with God. Do I enjoy the fullness of fellowship with my Lord?

We will continue to look at the other 8 items on the list above. Stay tuned, friends.

LET IT GO

Keep a sound mind.

Pray, pray, pray.

Talk with Jesus throughout the day.

Let go of the world.

Live for God's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment