Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Slip of the Tongue

559.  "Slip of the Tongue"          July 10, 2012
1 Peter 2-Part 7
Submit yourselves to every ordinace of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not using your liberty for a cloak of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.  1 Peter 2:13-16

LET IT GLOW

For goodness sake, for heaven's sake-how many times have I heard those phrases? Mom used to say them. I never heard her say one cuss word in all my growing up years and adult years. I only heard Dad say one, when we were doctoring cows and a cow was kicking, which made it difficult to give her a shot. I think that's a good record, considering there were lots of frustrating times which could merit a slip of the tongue.
How's my tongue doing? Do I let words slip out when little ears are around? Unfortunately, in my younger years, I was know as "Linda Darn It" because it was always coming out of my mouth when I was upset. Finally, I quite saying the expression. (A cousin with the same name was know as "Linda Dang It".) That's not a good identity, is it?
What is Peter saying in our verses today?

For the Lord's sake-so that God will be honored and glorified.

It is God's will that your honorable lives should silence those ignorant people who make foolish accusations against you. For you are free, yet you are God's slaves, so don't use your freedom as an excuse to do evil. (NLT)

Am I aware that others around me may judge me as bad if I let words slip out that dishonor my Lord? I need to be sure that I watch it. Don't let a slip of my tongue cause me to loose respect in others eyes.

LET IT GROW

I am to:
1. Submit to every ordinance of man. Submit means to obey, be subject (Thayer's Lexicon); to yield, according to Webster's Dictionary. Do I obey every human institution, laws of the land, so the Lord Jesus is honored? Better yet, do I submit to my own husband, and authorites in my church? Bring it on down-do I submit to God's Word? If I am not submitting, then am I rebelling? God's Word tells children to submit to parents, servants to masters, and wives to husbands. God allows people to be in office. Do I pray for them as they lead?

"There are times when government is itself in violation of the power and authority given by God and contrary to Scripture, when the Christian must not submit (Acts 5:29)," states The MacArthur Bible Commentary.

Peter said that we ought to obey God rather than men. When a law is condictory to God's Law, then we are to obey God. Daniel did by continuing to pray to God three times a day with his window open, even though the law said to only pray to the king as god. We know how that situation turned out. God shut the lions' mouths.
Those four Hebrew boys served God by eating vegetables. Isn't that something? Am I willing to do the same?

2. Respect human authority, the king or his officials.

3. Use my freedom as a servant of God; love the brotherhood.

4. Respect their position, though we may not agree with their
    politics or their practices. (Romans 13)

5. Practice responsible citizenship, thus commending Jesus'
    lordship.

God has established the home, human government, and the church, so He has the right to tell us how these institutions should be run. God wants each of us to exercise authority, but before we can exercise authority, we must be under authority. God has willed that we silence the critics by doing good, not by opposing the authority. (Wiersbe)

LET IT GO

No rebellion, just submission.

Obey laws of the land when not contrary to God's laws.
Drive the speed limit, stop at stop signs, and yield on yellow lights.

Honor my Lord Jesus.
Watch my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment