Monday, July 23, 2012

A Happy Life

568.  "A Happy Life"                   July 23, 2012
1 Peter 3-Part 6
For the Scriptures say, "If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. Turn away fron evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. but the Lord turns his face against those who do evil.  1 Peter 3:10-12
NLT

LET IT GO

On what are my eyes focused? To what are my ears listening? Last Sunday morning, I went to put on my glasses and one side of the frames broke. So I got the wide, thick, clear tape and wrapped it securely. This lasted all week, but with my periforal vision, I could see it all the time I wore my glasses.( It would bug me if I focused on it.) Isn't that the way my focus is supposed to be-keeping Jesus in my sight. Not physically, of course, but in my heart. When His Word in ever before me, I can almost see Jesus standing on my right.Which way is He leading me? My problem is an "I" problem. I'm focused on myself too much.
What's that? He is trying to whisper directions to me. Are my ears closed? Why can't I hear Him? Speak louder, Jesus. Perhaps it's because I am listening to the world-its music, its enticements, its material things. How loud they can sound! Don't go away, Jesus, I want to hear what You have to say to me. He doesn't give up. He is always looking for those who want to serve Him, listening to HIs instructions. He leads me on the right path, not the wrong path.


God's eyes are on His people for protection and His ears are open to their prayers. I must trust God to protect and provide for me, for He alone can defeat my enemies. (Rom. 12:17-21).

Am I making Jesus happy with what He sees me doing and hears me saying?

LET IT GROW

Peter tells us how to have a "good day:"
  1. We must deliberately decide to love life. It's an act of the will. See the best in every situation. We can either endure life, try to escape the burdens, or we can enjoy life becausse we know God is in control.
  2. We must control our tongues. Many are the problems of life that are caused by the wrong words, spoken in the wrong spirit. (James 3 and Ps. 141:3)
  3. We must do good and hate evil. King James uses the word eschew, which means to avoid something because you despise and loathe it. Avoid and shun sin.
  4. We must seek and persue peace. If we go looking for trouble, we'll find it; if we seek peace, wwe will find it as well. Christians should exercise moderation as he relates to people and not create problems in order to get his way.
[Resource: Be Hopeful by Warren Wiersbe]

The person who wants a truly happy life, enjoying all God's blessings, must first turn away from evil in both word and deed and run after peace. (Falwell)

MacArthur gives the requirements of the fulfilled life as:
  1. a humble, loving attitude toward everyone (verse 8)
  2. a non-vindictive response toward revilers (verse 9)
  3. pure and honest speech (verse 10)
  4. a disdain for sins and pursuit of peace (verse 11)
  5. a right motive to work righteousness that pleases the omnicient Lord.
How much do you and I want a fulfilling life?

LET IT GO

Leave behind those things that my eyes and ears are involved with that displease God.

Turn my eyes upon Jesus. Open my ears that I may hear Him speak.

Love life; control my tongue; do good; persue peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment