Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What Shall We Do?

Luke 3
And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then?
Luke 3:10

LET IT GLOW

Family trees. My Mom, sister, and distant cousin have spent a lot of time
researching ours. We have some preachers, a disserter of the army,
slave owners, Indians, even a President of the U.S.
But the question most important is, "Were they believers in
Jesus Christ?" Their eternal destiny is sealed now, but my furture generations
are still living. What about theirs?

Mary's (Jesus' mother)  lineage is told in Luke 3:23-38. She and Joseph
(see chapter 1 of Matthew) had some of the same ancestors before David.
Mary was related to David's son, Nathan, and Joseph was related to David's
son Solomon. This sounds like a history lesson, doesn't it? What a family.

Because both Mary and Joseph were of the lineage of David they went to
Bethlehem to pay their taxes. We know that was where Jesus
was born. It fulfilled prophecy.

How wonderful to have your family tree full of believers as in Jesus' case.
I know that my parents and grandparents were Christians, so that is
comforting.
What I can do is help the future branches of my family tree become believers?
I can pray and witness to them.
The family tree is the most important tree, besides the one made into the
cross for Jesus. It helped Him purchase our salvation.

LET IT GROW

What are we going to do?
I remember thinking the same thing several times in my life. The bottom fell
out, so to speak. Several times the income stopped, or we had to move, or
we had to find jobs, or our children had to change schools. Each time, God
was faithful to provide what was needed. I can't say it was easy, but my faith
grew during those times. He is Jehovah Jireh, the Lord provides.

Three groups,  people, Publicans, soldiers, asked John the Baptist the
same question, "What shall we do?"

How did John answer them ? He told them:
  • Give your extra coat and meat to the person that doesn't have any.
  • Don't take more( taxes) than you are told to take.
  • Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely, and be content
          with your wages.

When I consider the group John was talking to, it becomes more clear.
People should help their brothers in need; Publicans were tax collectors
so they were not to stuff their pockets while making it burdensome on
the payer; soldirs were to do no violence, false accusing, and be content
with their wages.

I need to remember to ask Jesus what He wants me to do. He moves
in mysterous ways.

LET IT GO

Lord. help me to pray and witness to my grandchildren so they are
believers.

Thank you that my children and their spouses, plus husband, are Christians.

Help me to keep asking You Jesus  what You want me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment