Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fishin'

Luke 5
Now when he (Jesus) had left speaking, he said unto Simon, "Launch
out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught."
Luke 5:4

LET IT GLOW

Verse 16 says, And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.

If Jesus needed to get away from people (retreat) and pray to the Father,
so do I. It is refreshing to have a quiet place to spend some time refecting
on God's Word and listening and talking to Him. Do you have such a
place?


LET IT GROW

When I was a little girl, my parents would go fishing on Flint Creek,
which was just down the road from our house. Dad taught me how to
fish using my little plastic fishing pole. I learned how to put a worm
on the hook, throw out the line, wait and watch for the bobber to go
under the water, and reel in a fish. Often times it was a fisty perch on
my hook. He took it off for me. How exciting to catch one.Sometimes
we had to wait a while for a nibble; sometimes we had to move along the
creek bank for another place if the fish were not biting. Aahh, precious
memories. (Dad did the same for my two children.) It was fun even if I
didn't catch many fish.

In this chapter, the fishermen, Simon Peter, Andrew, James, and John,
were cleaning their nets after a "no catch" day. Then Jesus came along
and told the Simon to go out into the deep and let down their nets. (verse 4)

Simon Peter spoke up,"Master, we worked hard last night and didn't catch
a thing. But if You say so, I'll let the nets down again." (verse 5 NLT)

As a result of Peter and Andrew obeying Jesus, they experienced a miracle-
two boats full of fish (shouted for help). In fact, the boats were so full that
they were on the verge of sinking. When the Lord provides, He provides.

When Peter realized what had happened, he dropped to his knees and
confessed that he was a sinner. (He saw himself in the light of Jesus.)

Jesus said,"From now on you will be fishing for people" (catch men).
They brought the boats to shore and "forsook all and followed Jesus."

Isaiah 40:31 says, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and
they shall walk, and not faint."


LET IT GO

Retreat and pray daily.

"If You say so, Lord, I'll do it" should be my response everytime Jesus
give me directions to do something.

Trust Jesus.

Forsake all and follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment