Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It's Off to Work We Go

Luke 4
The Spirit of the LORD is upon me, because He hath anointed me to
preach the gospel to the poor; He hath sent me to heal the
brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering
of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 
To preach the acceptable year of the LORD.  Luke 4:18-19

LET IT GLOW

I have had various  jobs in my lifetime-seamstress, researcher,
preschool and elementary teacher, bookkeeper, babysitter, which
were paid positions. As I went off to work for a paycheck, I was still doing
work for Jesus, too. However, He had a far greater purpose for His
work than I did.

Jesus was teaching in the Jewish synagogue when He quoted the above
verse from Isaiah 61:18-19. He was fulfilling these verses that day
according to Luke 4:22.

Christ Jesus explains the work He came into the world to do. Three
questions about His cridentials would be:

1.  How was He qualified?
     The Spirit of the LORD was upon Jesus. Verse 18

2. How was He commissioned?
     God annointed Christ and sent Him.

3. What was His work?
    He was to be a great prophet, Physician, and Redeemer.

[Information above is from Matthew Henry's Commentary]

LET IT GROW

Jesus came preaching to ears and hearts. This scripture tells three things He
was to preach:

1. deliverance to the captives
    Am I held captive by my sins? Do I need to be set free?

2. recovery of sight to the blind
   If only I ask, He will open my spiritual eyes to see the Truth.

3. the Acceptable Year of the Lord
    Here Jesus is referring to the Year of Jubilee-when servants were freed,
    debts were dropped, mortgaged land returned to original owners.

It sounds like Jesus had quite an agenda or purpose for His preaching.
Do I have a daily agenda?
He was off to work each day.


LET IT GO

Follow God's leading by His Holy Spirit under the authorities He has
established.

Seek spiritual freedom in Christ.

Obey His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment