Friday, July 23, 2010

Jumping for Joy

Luke 6
Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is
great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the
prophets. Luke 6:23


LET IT GLOW

It was a long ride down the escalator at the airport. It was long becauses
my grandchildren were waiting at the bottom to greet me. A year had
passed since I had seen them, hugged them, and kissed them. What a joyful
time! I would have leaped for joy, but probably I would have fallen.
(Of course my daughter and son inlaw were there too.)  :0)

I ask myself if that is the kind of joy the scripture is speaking of in verse
23. Let's back up to verse 22: "Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you,
and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach
you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake." KJV

According to NLT, we have blessing awaiting us when people hate us,
exclude us, mock us, and curse us as evil because we follow Jesus. It says
that when that happens, be happy! We are to remember that their ancestors
treated the ancient prophets that same way.

I wasn't jumping for joy today when a former church member snubbed me at
the store as we met in the isle. In fact, it hurt my feelings and made me sad.
I wondered what I had done. Jesus and I talked about it the whole time I was
in the store. It must have hurt Him whenever He was treated worse.
Let's go on to the "grow" section for help.


LET IT GROW

How are we supposed to treat others? Several verses answer that question:

  1. Love your enemies. verses 27, 35
  2. Do good to them. verses 27,  35
  3. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. verse 35
  4. Be merciful (compassionate). verses 28, 36
  5. Pray for them. verse 28
  6. Judge not. verse 37
  7. Condemn not. verse 37
  8. Forgive. verse 37
  9. Give. verse 38
Then we will be like children of the Highest and our reward will be great.
verse 35 (By the way, Jesus was saying those instructions.)

I definitely have some homework. How about you? Maybe I better copy
the list and review it daily.

LET IT GO

I want act like a child of the Most High God.

First, Lord, forgive me for not being like you have said for me to be.

Help me to treat others in this manner and work on my attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment