Friday, June 25, 2010

What a Dinner Party!

Mark 2
But that ye may know that the Son of  man hath power on earth to forgive
sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy.)        Mark 2:10

LET IT GLOW

Jesus ate at the home of a publican, Levi. Other dinner guests were
tax collectors and disreputable sinners. What a dinner party!
When the Pharisees saw this, they asked the disciples,"Why does he eat
with such scum?"
Publicans were tax collectors; they took bribes; they were corrupt;
they were ornery and sinful (my description).

When Jesus heard this, He told them, "Healthy people don't need a
doctor-sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they
are righteous, but those who know they are sinners. (verse 17 NLT)
[my emphasis]

I am so grateful that Jesus, who is the "Bread of Life" and the "Living
Water", spiritually speaking, dines with me, a sinner. His Word daily fills
me and sustains me.

Jesus was selective all right. He chose to eat with people who needed
Him as Savior, like me.

Do I share this Bread and Water with other sinful scum like me? Am I
selective with whom I eat?


LET IT GROW

In the first part of chapter 2, we read a familar story of the four friends
who took their paralyzed friend to Jesus for healing. I think they cared
a lot about this man  because they carried him through town on a mat.
Also, I think they had a lot of faith in Jesus' healing power.

When the five arrived at the house where Jesus was staying, it was
crowded. So crowded that they could not get inside, so the friends
carried the paralytic up on the roof. They lowered him down in front
of Jesus. What determination and love. They didn't say,"Oh well, we
tried" and left. No, these friends did whatever it required to get their
friend to Jesus.

In verse 5, Jesus seeing their faith said to the paralytic, "My son, your
sins are forgiven."  Wait. Hold the phone. Did He say the man's sins
were forgiven? That's blasphemy! Only God can forgive sin. These
were the thoughts of the scribes. Of course, Jesus could read their
thoughts.

Jesus asked the scribes which was easier to say the man's sins were
forgiven or to heal him.
"But in order that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on
earth to forgive sins," He said to the paralytic, "I say to you, rise, take up
your pallet and go home." verses 10-11 NAS

Jesus proved that He had the power, authority, to forgive sins. Praise
God! Immediately the man stood up, picked up his mat, and went
outside.

How did the onlookers react? They were amazed and praised God. "We
never seen anything like this," they said.

LET IT GO

Do I love my friends enough to do whatever it takes to bring them to
Jesus?
I don't want to be selective with whom I eat, but share Jesus with all.

No comments:

Post a Comment