Thursday, June 3, 2010

Get Out of the Boat

Matthew 14
Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying,
"Of a truth Thou art the Son of God." Matt. 14:33

LET IT GLOW

Jesus was moved with compassion toward the multitude of people
who followed Him into the desert. He healed their sick. He knew they
were hungry, because  it was passed supper time. In the desert there was
no place to eat, not even a McDonalds. And what a crowd-5,000 men
besides the women and children. What did the disciples suggest?
The people go into the villages and buy their own meal.

Now these are disciples who had seen Jesus heal a lot of sick folks
and heard His sermon on the mount. However, they had not experienced
His multiplying food. I wonder what their conversation was like when
they picked up the extra 12 baskets of fish and bread.

Can He feed me? Yes, both physically and spiritually. During our
college days our 2 children were small. When we needed milk, there
was a check in the mailbox providing the money. I know He feeds the
 hungry.

LET IT GROW

We know the story of Jesus walking on the water one night toward
 the disciples' boat. Peter stepped out of the boat and experienced
 walking on the water. When he took his eyes off of Jesus, Peter
began to sink. "Lord, save me," he cried. Jesus caught Peter's hand
and walked him back to the boat. He didn't take Peter to shore where
it was safe did He? No, Peter had to go back.
I fail too when I take my eyes off Jesus.

Why didn't the other disciples step out of the boat? Maybe their eyes
were on the waves and the storm. Maybe they heard Jesus call Peter
"thou of little faith." At any rate, they missed their chance to actually
walk on water. It was a once in a lifetime experience, at least not
mentioned again in scriptures. I do the same thing when in a storm in
my life comes. Oh I may have enough faith to get out of the boat, try
something new, but then I doubt Jesus can calm the wind blowing up
problems.

Once on a mission trip, the group was going to an island for a day of
relaxation. We were in a fast boat, with waves splashing high, strong
winds blowing,  and storm clouds overhead. I was so scared, that I
began to cry. (I don't like water over my head, which is less than 5 feet.)
O me of little faith-The Lord wouldn't let us sink, the missionaries
were in the boat with us. We made it safely and had a wonderful day.

Seeing this miracle caused the disciples to worship Jesus as the Son
of God. What do I miss when I won't get out of the boat? Notice,
Jesus didn't reprimand the disciples.

LET IT GO

Trust Jesus more, step out in faith more, and experience His mighty Hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment