Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sooie, Pigs, Sooie

Mark 5
Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, "Go home to tell thy
friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for
thee, and hath had compassion on thee."

LET IT GLOW

There was a man who was possessed of unclean spirits, devils, that
lived in caves. When the man saw Jesus, he worshipped Jesus. Then
Jesus commanded the many devils to come out of the man and enter
swine, about 2,000 scripture says. The swined ran into the sea and
drown.
I wonder if the owner of the pigs was calling them, "Sooie, pig, sooie,"
as they ran towards the water. (The owner lost his swine because of this
man's deliverance.) Just a thought. I hear the phrase often
since I live in "Razorback Country", which is near the University
of Arkansas, whose mascot is the razorback hog. Perhaps you have
heard us "call the hogs" at ball games. (Free Tidbit)

I often tell friends about the great things the Lord did for us while
we lived elsewhere for 17 years. I know He had compassion on me
and my family.

LET IT GROW

In verse 22, a ruler of the synagogue, Jairus, came to Jesus. His
daughter was dying and and he asked Jesus to come lay hands on
her so she would be healed and live. While Jesus and Jairus were on
their way, they were interrupted, and Jesus took time to heal the woman
with the 12 year blood issue. By that time, a messenger told Jairus that
his daughter was dead so don't bother the Master.

What did Jesus say to the ruler? He said, "Be not afraid, only believe."
Then Jesus went to the girl and told her rise. Immediately she did, and
walked, also. What was the reaction of the people? They were
astonished with great astonishment, verse 42 tells us.

I find it unusual that Jairus was a ruler in the Jewish synagogue, who
came to Jesus with his problem. His group of people were the very ones
who conspired to kill Jesus-the scribes and Pharasees. However, he
didn't let their attitude about Jesus influence him and keep him from going
to Jesus for help. (If he had, would his daughter have lived?)
He obviously had the faith that Jesus was talking about because Jesus
healed Jairus' daughter.

Do I allow others to keep me from going to Jesus? Do I let their
attitudes influence me? What do I miss when I do?

LET IT GO

Tell of the great things the Lord has done for me.
Share His compassion.
Don't allow others to discourage me from going to Jesus and
following Him.
Do I allow others to keep me from Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment