Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fishing for Gold

Matthew 17

...This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye
Him.                           Matthew 17:5

LET IT GLOW

Temple tax collectors asked Peter if his master, Jesus, paid taxes.
Jesus' kingdom wasn't of this world, so He didn't owe any. But, lest He
offend these guys, Jesus agreed that they should pay.

Jesus had a plan. He sent Peter fishing for a piece of money
(gold, I figured). Peter probably enjoyed getting his hook back into the water.
Did you notice that Peter didn't ask any questions?

Matthew didn't tell us how this situatioin turned out. No other gospel
tells about this particular miracle. Did Peter go? I assume he was
obedient, found the money, and paid the temple tax for both Jesus and
himself. This was Jesus'  gift to Peter.

I can't say I have ever caught a fish with a coin in its mouth. Wouldn't
it be exciting? There probably would be more fishermen by trade if
it did happen. Isn't our Lord creative? He must enjoy meeting needs in
unique ways. He is the great "I AM."

LET IT GROW

And Jesus said unto them, "Because of your unbelief: for verily I say
unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto
this mountain, 'Remove hence to yonder place'; and it shall remove; and
nothing shall be impossible unto you."

Mountains are big, rugged, difficult to go around, hard to climb over,
and don't go away.

I have some problems which are like mountains. I can't seem to get
around them or over them. Unfortunately, my focus tends to stay on
them.

Jesus said I could tell my mountains to move over yonder (not my hillbilly
word) and it would, with one stipulation- I needed faith the size of one
grain of mustard seed to move it. That sounds simple enough.

Have you ever seen one mustard seed? It is so teensy weensy tiny that
I can barely pinch one seed.

Saturday, I poured a package of mustard seeds into a clear baby food
jar. Then I poured some into soil in a flower pot. (Left some for my
"faith" reminder.) I'll keep you informed of the progress of my mustard
seeds' growth :) . I understand they can get quite tall.

The disciples couldn't cast out a demon from a man's son because of
their unbelief. Jesus told them that kind didn't go out except by prayer
and fasting. Was the disciples' faith smaller than a tiny mustard see?
Is mine?

Jesus said that if I had this kind of faith, the size of a grain of mustard
seed, nothing would be impossible for me and you. Remember, it's
faith that pleases God.

I've got some mountains, problems, that I'd like moved. How about you?

LET IT GO

Trust Jesus.
Have faith in Him as big as a grain of mustard seed.
Have enough faith to move mountains, problems.
Pray and fast if it's required to move mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment