Monday, February 1, 2016

Getting Our Attention

O. T. #685  "Getting Our Attention"
February 1, 2016
2 Samuel 6-Part 3
So David decided not to move the Ark of the LORD into the city of David.  2 Samuel 6:10

LET IT GLOW

I have been extremely busy the past two weeks. We drove to Ft. Worth for Vacation Bible School training for two days. The 6 hour trip was rather tiring. Next, we had a January Bible Study for 6 nights at the church. I cooked supper for 25 folks on Friday night. All was good, but exhausting. Then, I worked two days at our tire shop, getting tax figures ready for the accountant, which can be a bit stressful. Now, I just had to go shopping while a closing store had sales on. Why do I say all of this? I was doing my own thing and not resting as I should have. Not to mention that I had gained back all the weight I lost last summer as a result of not watching my diet. I ended up in the ER on Friday with high blood pressure on its way to a stroke. God is so merciful and got my attention. He got David's attention, also. A man died. What has God used lately to get your attention and back on the right road with Him?

David and the Israelites were excited to bring the Ark of God home to Jerusalem. It had been gone 50 years from them. Also, it had been at  Abinadab's house for 20 years, which was located on a hill. David made a mad dash to get the job done, put the Ark on a new cart to transport it, then everyone was singing and playing instruments in the procession of 30,000 elite troops. The oxen stumbled and the Ark was steadied by Uzzah. Immediately God killed the man for touching it. Both actions were in disobedience to God's Word. David had neglected to inquire of the Lord what His way was and a man lost his life as a result.

God's work must be done God's way. When it is not, workers either suffer delay, or God passes the blessing on to someone else who will do His work as He intended. By using a cart to transport the Ark as the Philistines had done (1 Sam. 6), David used the work of God with the methods of the world. (The Jeremiah Study Bible)

Uzzah was only trying to prevent the Ark from falling onto the ground, perhaps with a voluntary flex he touched it. Had David followed the instructions previously given for the transportation of the Ark, there would have been no need for it to be steadied. The Levite priests would have been carrying it on poles upon their shoulder. Innocent people cans suffer due to a person's disobedience.

God's judgment on Uzzah was an opportunity for David to recognize his sin and to repent. When we obey the Lord, we have joy in our soul. However, disobedience dispels joy and introduces fear (1 Chron. 13:11-14).  (D. Jeremiah)

God's discipline upon us is a good thing. He uses it to bring us to repentance and back into surrender to do His will His way, as He did to me.

LET IT GROW

What happened next?
  • David got angry at God for killing one of his men, Uzzah.
  • He called the place Perez-uzzah. It is still called that today, according to the Scriptures.
  • David was afraid of the Lord that day.
  • He asked how the Ark of Lord could he could bring the Ark back into his care.
  • David decided to not move it to Jerusalem then. Instead, he took it to Obed-edom of Gath.
  • There it remained for 3 months, and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and his household.
A man or woman after God's own heart cares about what God cares about. The world tells us to not care about those little golden ringlets. God puts to test our obedience in the little things like a ringlet, pole, and shoulder. (Swindoll)

When things aren't going just right, do we stop, back of to evaluate the situation or our methods?
Are we doing our will or God's will? If we are doing God's will, are we doing it His way and not our way?

My episode caused me to reevaluate my situation. It  showed me that I was living for myself. I was drinking too much caffeine and not enough water, and not taking care of my body so I could serve the Lord with my best. I was doing things for the Lord, but in His time and way. I should have made time for resting my aging body. I can't keep up the pace any more. That is hard to admit. Anyone with me? 

LET IT GO

Seek the Lord's directions daily.

Back off and seek His will when things aren't going right in my life.

REPENT.

Obey Him and use His methods.

Care about the little things, details, which God cares about.





No comments:

Post a Comment