Friday, October 19, 2012

Witnesses

632.  "Witnesses"          October 19, 2012
1 John 5-Part 3     (verses 6-10)
And Jesus Christ was revealed as God's Son by his baptism in water and by shedding his blood on the cross-not by water only, but by water and blood. And the Spirit, who is truth, confirms it with his testimony. so we have these three witnesses-the Spirit, the water, and the blood-and all three agree.  NLT 1 John 5:6-8


LET IT GLOW

I have shared it before, that I served on a jury one time. They had witnesses which testified about the accused. The jury believed the young man broke the law, and sentenced him. I listened very carefully to the witnesses, even took notes. I wanted to make sure I understood the truth as it was told.  John was a witness that Jesus was real. Who else did John say was a witness? Shall we check it out?

WHO IS JESUS?

You know I had to look up  witness in Thayer's Lexicon, which said:
Witness means to give testimony; through the expiation (atonement) wrought by the baptism and the death of Christ, and the Holy Spirit giving souls assurance of this expiation. Jesus was sent by God, is said thoughout the Scriptures. the Scriptures testify that.

The testimony of two or three witnesses establish the truth of a particular matter, according to Deut. 17:6.

The truth is, Jesus is deity. He is part of the Trinity-Father, Son, Holy Spirit. John writes to show that God has given testimony to the deity of Jesus through both His baptism and death.

Who is a witness of Jesus' Deity and Messiahship in heaven: the Father, the Word, the Holy Spirit.
What was a witness on earth: water at His baptism, blood on the cross, the Spirit. (Matt. 3:16-17)

The Father's testimony can count as three witnesses' testimony-His, Son, Holy Spirit.

(David Guzik gives us four views of what John means in these verses, but I won't go into them.)

The important thing is, do I agree in who Jesus is said to be? Yes indeed. Do you?

LET IT GROW

If I can receive the witness of men, apostles and Paul, shouldn't I accept the witness of God's Word, His Spirit, and His Son?(verse 9)

I, a believer, have the witness of the Holy Spirit within me. (verse 10)
Therefore, I can be a witness of Jesus Christ, also. Am I a witness? Do I share the Truth?


LET IT GO


Keep a strong faith in Jesus Christ forever.

Share His love and Word, what He has done for me on the cross.












No comments:

Post a Comment