Monday, October 1, 2012

Wearing Two Different Colored Shoes

618.  "Wearing Two Different Colored Shoes"             
October 1, 2012
1 John 3-Part 7       (verses 20)
For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. 1 John 3:20 KJV


LET IT GLOW

One Sunday morning, as I was practicing with the choir at church, I looked down in the light and saw that I had on two different colored shoes-one navy blue and the other black. I didn't have time to go home and change one, so I shared my delema with the choir, so they would have a good laugh. Seriously, there are times I wear two different faces, one of a Christian, the other of my sinful nature.
I learned today that there is something I can do about it. Want to know what it is?

John gives three benefits of love for the true Christian:
  1. The first benefit is the assurance of salvation since love in action is the test of Christian profession (John 13:34-35).
  2. The second benefit of love is answered prayer. Since love is the heart of obedience to the law, its presence in one's life evidences submission to God which He blesses by answered prayers. (Romans 13:8-10)
  3. The third benefit of love is the abiding presence and empowering of the Holy Spirit.
What are the evidences of true salvation? Believing, loving, and obeying are its true evidences.

[Reference: The MacArthur Bible Commentary]



LET IT GROW

Does my heart condemn me of my secret sins? What am I to do? Confess my sins to God and ask forgiveness.

Condemn means to accuse, according to Thayer's Lexicon.

Even if we feel guilty, God is greater than our feelings, and He knows everything.
 (NLT verse 20)

I will have no peace, I am currently indulging in sin.  He is acquainted with the sins that trouble my conscience. He sees all my guilt. God even knows if I try to persuade myself that my acts aren't sinful, which are actually evil in His sight. (Barnes' Notes on the Bible)

God is greater than our heart, for He knows every hypocritical winding and turning of the soul. He searches and tries the reigns, and sees all the deceitfulness and desperate wickedness of the heart which we can't see. He is the just Judge and He condemns us, strictly and extensively more than we can be by our own conscience. God is the maker of our heart; He has power over it, management of it; it is in His hands to be turned by Him as He pleases. He is the searcher and trier of it; a superior Judge of it. (Gill)

If we have a troubled conscience because we haven't kept the law of love, God is more than our heart. He knows all things, even our failure in duty.  (People's New Testament)

There is no hope of hiding my sin from God, who is an infinitely holier and impartial Judge. David reminds me that God's mercy endures forever in Psalm 136.
If  I will just confess my sins, God is faithful and just to forgive me of them and will cleanse me of all my unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9) The key is my confessing, admitting, agreeing with God about my sins.

I tell you friends, I have been confessing throughout this lesson today. Not only do I need to pray for a change heart for myself, but for others and our church. Only God can do that.

LET IT GO

Confess, confess, confess.













Does God approve of the manner in which I live?




No comments:

Post a Comment