Monday, October 15, 2012

Do You Fear Judgment Day?

628.  "Do You Fear Judgment Day?"
October 15, 2012
1 John 4-Part 7  (verses 17-18)
Herein is our love made perfect that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.  1 John 4:17-18


LET IT GLOW

Don't we all have fears of something? I fear snakes, deep water, storms. How about you? However, there is no reason for me to fear the day I stand before my Maker. I am clothed in the blood of Jesus, wearing His robe of righteousness. Therefore, I do not fear that day.
Let's look at these two verses talking about fear and love, shall we?

Falwell in Liberty Bible Commentary says, "The original does not say, our love, but "love with us." It is because God is love, and because He lives in us, that love can be truly accomplished with us. God is love, so in a sense, we are love (we are all the world will ever see of love). The whole point is that We love... because He first loved us.  (verse 19)

Perfect, in verse 17, means accomplish, finish, breing to an end; one has been made perfect in love, his love lacks nothing.
Boldness refers to free and fearless confidence, cheerful courage, assurance before the judge.
(Thayer's Lexicon)

The only way we can have boldness in the  Day of Judgment is to receive, and walk in, the transforming love of God today. (Guzik)

The love with us is perfectly perfect, completely complete.(Guzik)
Therefore, we can have assurance in the now and in the future when we stand on the Day of Judgment before God, our Judge. How is this possible? It is His love shown when Jesus died on the cross for me a sinner.

As He is, so are we. How is Jesus now? He is glorified, justified, forever righteous and bold, sitting at the right hand of God the Father. Spiritually, we can have that same standing now, while we are in the world, because as He is, so are we in the world. (Guzik)

 I am justified and righteous due to Jesus' blood sacrifice for me. He saved me from my sins. His spirit lives within me. His love presides in my heart. How can I but love Him?

Are people of the world seeing God's love in me and experiencing it through me?

LET IT GROW

Looking at some of the words and their meanings in verse 18:
Fear means  dread, terror; love refers to affection, good-will, benevolence; perfect means it is brought to its end, finished, wanting nothing necessary to completeness; torment means corrected, punishment, penalty.  (Thayer's Lexicon)

What did I learn about fear and love?
  • There is no fear, dread, nor terror in God's love.
  • Perfect love casts out fear. Both love and fear cannot reside in the same place at the same time.
  • Fear concerns punishment, as unbelieving sinners and demons will experience one day.
  • This fear is not made perfect in love. Those who don't have Jesus as Savior, fear Him, understandably so, and are not made complete in His love.
So there are those who have God's love and no fear because heaven is our eternal destiny. Then there are those who don't have God's love and fear, at least should fear now, their eternal destiny, seperation from the love of God forever.

Am I sharing God's love and salvation with others so they do not need to fear the future?
Have you been made perfect, complete in His love? How about family and friends?

LET IT GO

Thank You Father for Your love.

Thank You that I don't have fear of my eternal destiny and standing before You.

Help me to share the good news of Jesus Christ.






No comments:

Post a Comment