Friday, October 26, 2012

Water

637.  " Water"             October 26, 2012
1 John Summary


LET IT GLOW

What, no work shirts clean? But I had no water in which to wash them and besides, I was gone visiting at the hospital last night with you. When did I have time and water? (hubby was only kidding me)
When we got home from church Wednesday night, I turned on the kitchen faucet and discovered we had no water flowing, zilch, not a drop. I was not prepared for this. I figured it would have happened earlier, in the summer, when we had a month of no rain and over 100 degree temp. At least I had bought a case of water earlier in the day. The next morning, I went to our son's house for a shower and brought home 2 gallons. Laundry was all caught up. I wasn't reacting to the situation with anger. God will provide, I knew in my heart.
When we got back from the hospital visit Thursday night, the man who works on pumps and wells was there-a good sign. He and our son got me water, after an unexpected purchase of a new pump. He was kind to install it instead of going home after dark.
That man also said that we must have a river under us, for it was only 30-50 feet down to the water. What a blessing! Others have to go down 1,500 feet. Parrellel to my country road is a stream that never runs dry.
God is good, all the time! So the cows got water to drink after a dry day and I got to flush!

I know of another well, one that never runs dry because it flows from the throne of God-His stream of love, mercy, and grace.

Pardon me if that has nothing to do with a summary of 1 John. It was on my heart.

LET IT GROW

John pastored in Ephesus. He may have written these 3 letters from the Isle of Patmos, where he was exiled because of his faith in Jesus.

Remember the outline from Liberty Bible Commentary:
  • Walking in the light, in sin, with the advocate, under commandment, in love, with apostates.
  • Concerning believers-identifying them, living with them, warning them, loving them.
  • Assurance of victory, eternal life, and answered prayer.
When these 3 (sound faith, obedience, love) operate in concert together, they resulted in happiness, holiness, and assurance. They constitute the evidence, the litmus test, of a true Christian.
(MacArthur Bible Commentary)

How should  I be walking?
  • in joy (1:4)
  • in light (1:6)
  • in confession (1:9)
  • in truth (1:10)
  • keeping His Word (2:5)
  • in the love of God (2:5)
  • as Jesus walked (2:6)
  • loving my brethren (2:10,3:11)
  • not in the world, the flesh, lust, pride (2:16)
  • in the will of God (2:17)
  • as a son, child of God (3:1)
  • in hope (3:3)
  • in righteousness (3:10)
  • laying down my life for the brethren (3:16)
  • praying (3:22)
  • pleasing God (3:22)
  • abiding in the Spirit (3:24)
  • not in fear (4:18)
  • in victory (5:4)
  • in confidence (5:14)
  • with understanding (5:20)
LET IT GO

Check my walk.

Continue to love others.

Live in victory with eternity in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment