Monday, October 29, 2012

Road Maps

638.  "Road Maps"            October 29, 2012
2 John-Part 1    
The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, shall be with us for ever. Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.   2 John 1-3

LET IT GLOW

A month ago, my granddaughter's schedule changed. She is now going to preschool three mornings a week and speech therapy two mornings. I drive her 30 miles on Tuesdays. The first time I took her, I held a road map with dirctions in my hand while I drove. There were so many rights and lefts that I didn't want to miss a one and get lost. I am happy to say, I drove right to the place, and with ten minutes to spare.
In John 14:6, he quoted Jesus saying, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to Father except through Me.
Jesus has taught us the way to live, the way to go, given us the road map for the Christian life. He gives the Holy Spirit to guide us step by step to do God's will. If I am listening, I will be driving right to and through God's will for my life. I certainly won't get lost or on the wrong road.

Background:
The apostle John is writing a second letter. He pastored a church in Ephesus many years, with the interruptions of being exiled to the island of Patmus, where John wrote Revelation. This was a time when false teachers and the beginning of Gnosticism threatened the church. Several commentaries agree that John is writing to a local church and her members to warn them of such deceivers. Probably, 2 John was written around A.D. 90-95.

MacArthur says that the theme of this letter is biblical guidelines for hospitality.

Falwell said the purpose for the letter was to warn believers not to give indiscriminate hospitality to strangers or traveling evangelist-teachers.  Those who did not meet the sure test of sound doctrine were to be refused hastily. Since inns in the first century were notoriously flea-infested, where could a Christian stay while traveling?

If the authorities intercepted this letter and they knew to whom it was written, it could have meant death for those people. David Guzik says that is why John does not identify the lady and her children.

John uses the term truth five times in the first four verses.
Thayer's Lexicon says truth, as taught in the Christian religion, respecting God and the execution of His purposes through Christ, and respecting the duties of man, opposed alike to the superstitions of the Gentiles and inventions of the Jews, and to corrupt opinions and precepts of false teachers even among Christians.
John uses truth 37 times in his writings in the New Testament.

Truth refers to the basics or fundamentals of the faith that John has discussed in 1 John (sound belief in Christ, obedience, love), as well as the truths expressed in 2 John. Truth is the necessary condition of unity and, as a result, the basis of hospitality. (MacArthur)

Can I truthfully say that truth refers to the gospel of Jesus Christ, His teachings and His Word?

LET IT GROW

If I am a real believer in Jesus, what will I be doing?
  •  I will love other believers because the indwelling truth, which is the Holy Spirit of Truth.
  •  I will be showing grace, mercy, and peace, which I receive from God the Father and Jesus, the Son of God.
LET IT GO

Stay in God's Word for the road map of life.

Listen to the Holy Spirit as He leads my steps.

Obey Jesus' directions.

Keep the Truth ever before me.

* FYI-In 11 days I will be traveling on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic for a week of team teaching the Truth. Please pray for us while we are there and salvation of souls. So I probably will not be posting Nov. 12-16. If I take my laptop and there is internet service, I will update what is happening.







No comments:

Post a Comment