Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Burdens

630.  "Burdens"                   October 17, 2012
1John 5-Part 1
Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.  1 John 5:1-3  KJV 

LET IT GLOW

Last March, my husband and I flew to Puerto Rico for a business trip. I decided to take my laptop so I could continue writing for this Bible study while there. Also, I didn't want to get behind in my other  studies of the Bible. I thought I was being wise when I put the laptop inside a backpack to carry it instead of a rolling carry-on. Boy, was that a wrong decision. We had to walk a long way in the Chicago airport for our connecting flight. This precious instrument quickly became a heavy burden for me to carry. When my wonderful husband, who thought it was needless that I take the computer, offered to carry it, I gladly let him. I learned a valuable lesson that day.
I said all of that to show that things can be a burden, of which John is speaking.

In verse 3, grievous (barys in Greek), means burdensome, according to Thayer's Lexicon, and causeing mental or physical pain, according to Webster's Dictionary. 

What is it that John says is not grievious? God's commandments.
They are not difficult  to fulfill because we are truly "born of God" and have therefore easy victory.
(Liberty Bible Commentary)

Are God's commands burdensome for me to keep?

Just as my husband carried my burden of the heavy laptop, Jesus carries or is the fulfillment of God's Commandments. (Matt. 5:17)

LET IT GROW

How can I know a person is a Christian?
  • They believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the annointed of God.(verse 1)
  • They are born of God, not just an intellectual knowledge, but a spiritual New Birth. (verse 1)
  • They received Jesus as Savior, trusted in Him for the remissions of their sins, which have been confessed.
  • They love God as His child in return for His love and those who are His children. (verses 1-2)
  • They keep God's commandments. (verse 3)
  • They love other believers. (1 John 4:21)
If we say we love God, yet walk in a lifestyle of conscius disobedience, we are like the believer who says they walk in fellowship with God, yet walks in darkness-they are lying. (1 John 1:6)

Looking at those qualities listed above, can others confirm that I am a Christian?  Do I show and tell those things?

LET IT GO

Love God, love Jesus; love Jesus, love God.

Love God's Commandments.

Love other believers.

Obey God's Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment