Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Little Prayers

620.  "Little Prayers"                October 3, 2012
1 John 3-Part 9    (verses 22-23)
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. And this is his commandment, that we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1 John 3:22-23 KJV


LET IT GLOW

It is a joyful time when God answers my prayers. Of course, those the major ones, such as salvation for my family, finding His Will, but I am talking about answered minor prayers, such as helping me find something. I am always misplacing things and asking my All-knowing Father to help me find it. He must have a sense of humor and giggle when I pray, "It's me again Lord. Will You help me find this?" He is so very faithful in the little things and big things. Is there such a thing as a little thing in God's eyes? Maybe not. Maybe there are no little or big prayers, either. Maybe there are no little things that I ask for.

So how can I ask with confidence that God will answer one specific prayer?
Our previous lesson taught that if I don't feel guilty, I can come to God with bold confidence. (verse 21 NLT) If my conscience is clear, my sins are confessed and forgiven, He will hear me.

Next, to what does whatsoever refer? According to Webster's Dictionary, whatsoever can be either an adjective or a pronoun, of whatever nature or kind. Thesaurus.com defines it as meaning "anything." Synonyms are "any" and  "everything."

Receive means to get back, apart of a thing, according to Thayer's Lexicon.

If I substitute those words into this phrase, it would say:
Anything or everthing I ask, I will get.

So anything I ask, I will receive? Everything I ask, I will receive? Of course! The answer God will give me is either yes or no. It may not be exactly in the way or in the form which I asked, nor may I get it in my time, but in God's way and God's time.

The key to answered prayer is being in such close fellowship with God that we ask for things that are on His heart; we take up His agenda with our requests and intercession. The spirit of true prayer is Thy will be done, not My will be done-we turn to prayer to call into action what God desires; even knowing that some of the things God desires will directly and personally benefit me.(Guzik)

That makes sense to me. If anything I ask is in accordance to God's will, I will get it-a yes answer.
If my heart is in tune to God's heart, then I will only want what He wants, not what I want. If I believe, not ask for my own selfish lust, in accordance to God's will, then I will get what I asked.

Here are some other Scriptures pertaining to this topic-1John 5:14; Matthew 7:7,21:22; John 9:31; James 4:3.

LET IT GROW

What is John ssays that are prerequisites to my receiving a prayer answered?

  • I keep God's commandments. (doing righteousness)
  • I do those things that are pleasing in God's sight. (I want to do God's will.)
  • I believe on the name of Jesus Christ. (saved)
  • I love other believers.
  • Believe, love, obey, which are the major evidences of true salvation.
Keeping God's commandments is not meritorious ground of our being heard, but that it furnishes evidence that we are His children and He hears His children. God is pleased with those who by obedience and submission do His will. We have no hope that He will hear us unless we do so live to please HIm. (Barnes' Notes)

We receive of HIm, for He delights to bless the humble, upright, sincere soul. (Clarke)

Am I doing those things which are pleasing in God's sight?
Do I really love other believers as myself?

Things to ponder and apply.

LET IT GO

Your will,
Your way,
Today,
I pray.

Love God and others so much that I let go of my will.




No comments:

Post a Comment