Monday, October 15, 2012

I am a Liar

629.  "I am a Liar"      October 16, 2012
1 John 4-Part 8    (verses 19-21)
We love him, because he first loved us. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.   1 John 4:19-21


LET IT GLOW

Who loved first, God or man? It's like asking, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" The answer is "the chicken" because it was created along with the other animals. The egg was produced later from the hen.

John tells us that God first loved us. That is why we love Him.

Here are some things I found out about God's love for us:
  • He loved us before the worlds were created, when our only existence was in the mind and heart of God, Jesus loved us. (Guzik) (Eph. 1:4)
  • He loved us when we were still sinners. (Romans 5:8)
  • All human love is preceded and generated by the love of God. (Vincent's Word Studies)
  • He loved us so much that He sent His only son to be the propitiation (atoning sacrifice) for our sin. (1 John 4:10)
  • His love is everlasting. (Jer. 31:3)
Why do we love God?
We love God because He loved us first,
We love God from a sense of obligation and gratitude.
We love God from the influence of His own love, from His love shed abaaroad in our hearts, our love to HIm proceeds. (Clarke)

Jesus loves you and me.
Jesus chose us to be His children.
Jesus redeemed us with His blood.
Jesus has called us to His salvation.
Jesus has pardoned us from our sins.
Yes, Jesus loves me.

LET IT GROW

Show me that you love me. Don't just say it. Words are cheep, easy to come by. Prove that you love me. Haven't we thought or said those words?

Looking at our key verses, what is the evidence that I love God? It is that I love my brothers and sisters in Christ.

If I don't love others, then I am a liar. I can't truthfully say that I love God, whom I haven't seen and not love others, whom I see.  If I truly love God, then His love is going to flow through me and I will love others. OK, there are times when people are extremely hard to love, I will admit. There are times that I am extremely hard to love, too. But I can't ask God to forgive me and not forgive another. I can't say one thing and do another. I can't love God and hate my sister or brother. It makes me a liar, a hypocrite. I don't want to be that. I admit that I have been a liar because I have not loved some people while I say I love God.

Am I hard to love?

LET IT GO

Thank God for His loving me.

Love other believers.

Let God handle others.



No comments:

Post a Comment