Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Pincher

636.  " My Pincher"        October 25, 2012
1 John 5-Part 6   (verses 18-21)
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and the wicked one toucheth him not. And we know we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. 1 John 5:18-21 KJV


LET IT GLOW

Other moms gave their children the eye, but not I. When my son was a boy, talking in church instead of listening, I had a way of telling him to be quiet with just my touch. I called it my pincher, pronounced peencher. I didn't have to say a word, just pinch his shoulder. He got the message, sharp, loud and clear. When the pincher was touching him, I had control. He obeyed.

It is good to know that Satan can't touch, grasp, lay hold of, nor control my soul. God is protecting me. Toucheth means assail (which means attack).

The word suggests "to lay hold of" or "to grasp" in order to harm. Because the believer belongs to God, Satan must operate within God's sovereignty and cannot function beyond what God allows, as in the example of Job (2:5). While Satan may persecute, tempt, test, and accuse the believer, God protects His children and places definite limits on Satan's influence or power. (MacArthur)

People's New Testament says Satan can't lay hands on him, so as to hold him. (him is the Christian)

It means to lay hold of or grasp rather than a mere superficial touch. (Robertson)

Satan has nothing to fasten his deadly temptations on; nothing to grasp hold of because my soul is free in Jesus; his pincher can't pinch, so to speak, therefore he can't have my soul. He can only tempt me to sin.
Jesus is the one who holds my soul, who touches me.

What are some certainties a Christian has?
  • victory over sin and Satan (verse 18)
  • belonging to God (verse 19)
  • Christ being the true God (verse 20)
Sometimes I need God to use His pincher on me, so I stop doing what I'm doing wrong and obey Him.

LET IT GROW

What is the last thing John tells us in this letter?
Keep yourselves from idols.

The MacArthur Bible Commentary says:
John contrasts the term idol with "the true God" of verse 20. He has reference here to the false teachers who withdrew from the brotherhood with which they had been formerly associated (2:19). Their false beliefs and practices are the idos from which the readers are commanded to protect themselves. The false teachers upheld the world's philosophy as superior to God's revelation as demonstrated in their perversion of basic Christian teaching (faith, love, and obedience).
 
Idols refers to a false god; to guard one's self from all manner of fellowship with heathen worship.

Do I seperate myself from heathen worship? I used to participate in Halloween. Was that a heathen practice? It certainly isn't honoring God.

LET IT GO

Allow God to touch me.

Turn from the ways of the world.

Watch out for false teachings.








No comments:

Post a Comment