Thursday, October 4, 2012

Knitting

621.  "Knitting"                October 4, 2012
1 John 3-Part 10      (verse 24)
And he that keepth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.  1 John 3:24

Those who obey His commands live in Him, and He in them. And this is how we know that He lives in us: We know it by the Spirit He gave us.  NIV

Those who obey God's commandments remain in fellowship with Him, and He with them. And we know He lives in us because the Spirit He gave us lives in us.  NLT


LET IT GLOW

Our first child was born in the month of November. While I awaited her birth, I decided to knit my younger five brother and sister in laws scarves for Christmas. I found directions on how to knit and pearl, bought the knitting needles and yarn, then worked diligently on the project. It was quite an easy thing to do, and fun to watch the yarn being knitted together into something useful. The two needles are used, maneuvered, intertwining the yarn around them, to accomplish a good thing. The Holy Spirit is in me to accomplish something good, too. When I read the definition of abideth and dwelleth, I thought of my knitting forty years ago.

The words abideth and dwelleth in this verse use the same Greek word, meno, which means to stay, not depart, not to leave, to continue to be present. The Thayer's Lexicon also said: Christians are to be rooted as it were in Him, knit to Him by the Spirit they have received from Him. Hence, one is said to abide in Christ or in God, and coversely Christ or God is said to abide in one.

Those who are abiding in Jesus know they are abiding in Jesus, because of the presence and assurance of the Holy Spirit. You can't be abiding in Jesus and not know it; though you may be attacked with doubt from time to time.  (Guzik)

Believing, loving, and obeying are the major evidences of true salvation. A benefit of love is the abiding presence and empowering of the Holy Spirit.  (MacArthur)

When I became a Christian, the Holy Spirit came to dwell in me at that moment. Another person doesn't give His Spirit to me, since I already have Him in me. I know He lives in me.

Am I allowing the Holy Spirit to guide me, control me, use me for God's glory? It will be evident as the fruit of the Spirit are produced in my life (Gal. 5:22-23).


LET IT GROW

What am I to do? John tells me to keep God's commandments.

John 14:15 NIV says, If you love Me (Jesus), you will obey what I command.
John 14:25 NIV says, Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

His will for us involves trusting in Him, loving one another, and in general, living the Christian life, and enjoying the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Falwell)

It is an all day thing, to be surrendered to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Sin tries to creep into my heart and mind, to keep me from obeying His commands and commandments. I battle the old sin nature just as you do, friends. I still have to slame the door on bad thoughts.

If I confess my sins, God is faithful to forgive me and to cleanse me of all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

Am I allowing the Holy Spirit to to knit Himself with my spirit?


LET IT GO

Slam the door on those sinful thoughts, words, actions and ask the Holy Spirit to rule my heart.

Be knit together with the Holy Spirit of God.














No comments:

Post a Comment