Monday, October 8, 2012

Greater Than

623.  "Greater Than"                 October 8, 2012
1 John 4-Part 2    (verses 4)
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.  1 John 4:4 KJV

LET IT GLOW

HSNU>dnwld     Can you read that equation using our key verse?

When I was in high school, I loved my algebra classes. One of the terms we used was "greater than" which stood for the sign ">". (Perhaps I should say, > stood for greater than.) It meant that a number/numeral or the unknown (letter) was more than another. I always liked the challenge of solving for the unknown.
As a Christian, there is something in me that is > something that is in the world. What is it? The Holy Spirit in me is greater than the demons/devil. Now can you read the equation? Modern texting may help.

Now you can read HSNU>dnwld can't you? (The Holy Spirit that is in you is greater than demons or the devil that is in the world.)

John didn't want this to be unknown to his readers. He is still warning believers about those false teachers.

The MacArthur Bible Commentary says:
Those that have experienced the New Birth have a built-in check against false teaching.The  Holy Spirit leads into sound doctrine for genuine Christians, evidencing that salvation has actually occurred. True believers have nothing to fear, for even Satan's hosts with their perversions can't take them out of the Lord's hands. Here, as in 2:18-27, protectin againsst error or victory over it are guaranteed by sound doctrine and the indwelling Holy Spirit who illumines the mind.
 
I like that equation, don't you?

John is telling us:
  1. We are God's child, His little children.
  2. We have overcome the false teachers and the devil.
  3. the Holy Spirit that is in me is greater than the devil and all his demons in the world.
Now that is encouraging to know.

LET IT GROW

Did you notice John used the word overcome?

Overcome, nikao in Greek, means to gain the victory. It is used of one who by Christian constancy and courage keeps himself unharmed and spotless from his adversary's devices, solicitations, assults: the devil, false teachers.

Romans 12:21 says Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

So whenever I get mad at someone, I am to do good to them, say good things to them, instead of bad, returning evil for evil. Then I am not being overcome with evil. Victory can be had, instead of sinning. It takes my being controlled by the Holy Spirit and not my flesh. (You know I am talking to me.)

I like that song that goes: Greater is He that is in me, greater is He that is in me, greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.

Watch out for the roaring lion that is seeking whom he may devour. Let others know and be prepared when they hear a roar, recognize a temptation. I think I will teach that chorus to my grandchildren. I should sing it more often. Why? Because HSNU>dnwld.

(And you  thought  you couldn't do algebra? You just did!)

LET IT GO

Remember, greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.

Overcome evil with good.

Listen for that lion and be prepared with Scripture, my weapon.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment