Monday, October 1, 2012

Confidence

619.  "Confidence"                  October 2, 2012
1 John 3-Part 8  (verse 21
Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.  1 John 3:21 KJV

LET IT GLOW

We had not seen each other all summer long, yet we sat quietly in the same seat on the school bus, not saying a word. It was the first day of school and we were best friends in elementary. Why didn't I say something? I was very shy and quiet, and lacked confidence.
John tells me that I can have confidence toward God. Want to see how? Read on dear one.

Our key verse uses the word confidence, which means free and fearless confidence, cheerful courage, boldness, assurance, according to Thayer's Lexicon.
Webster's Dictionary defines confidence as a firm trust, reliance; self-assurance, boldness; an assured state of mind; a state of trust and intimacy.

How can I have confidence, courage, boldness toward God? It is because my heart does not condemn me. I have confessed my sins and asked God to forgive me. I have His love in my heart as a believer in Jesus. I can look forward to the Second Coming of Jesus with joyous confidence, as Falwell put it.

Love banishes self-condemnation. When a Christian recognizes in his life the manifestation of love in deeds and actions, it results in confidence about his relationship with God. (MacArthur)

If our conscience condemns us in known sin, or the neglect of known duty,God does so too.  (Matthew Henry)

NLT says: Dear friends if we don't feel guilty, we can come to God with bold confidence.

I can't agree with that translation because sometimes we try to justify how we act, think, or speak, thus doing away with our guilt. There may be sin in ones heart resulting in what they do. In that case, we should not have the confidence to come to God for His answering our prayers.

LET IT GROW

How do I get what I ask for from God?
Verse 22 says:
  • I keep His commandments.
  • I do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
  • I have a clear conscious, confessed my sins.
  • I love other believers.
If I am not doing those things, then it is my fault that my prayers are not answered, I don't get what I ask for. I should look at my life and see how much I do to please myself and how much I do to please the Lord.

LET IT GO

Stay 'fessed up.

Please the Lord Jesus.

Love others and God.

Strive to be obedient to His Commandments.





No comments:

Post a Comment