Friday, May 25, 2012

Why? Why? Why?

527.  "Why? Why? Why?"                 May 25, 2012
James 4-Part 1
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.   James 4:6-9
LET IT GLOW

Why? Why? Why? How many times does a preschooler ask that one worded question in a day?
I find myself answering it, but getting impatient with the next why. Then I turn around and ask,"Why? why? why?" I am glad that God does not get impatient. That brings me to some questions I asked after reading chapter 4. Here are some:
Why are our Christian brothers and sisters in church quarreling and having conflicts?
Why does God seem so distant from me?
Why do I not feel more of God's grace?
Why won't the devil leave me alone?
Why won't God lift me up?
The answers to these questions are found in James chapter 4.
1,. What causes fights and quarrels among us? (verse 1)
     We don't get what we want. (verse 2)
     We don't have because we don't ask God for it. (verse 2)
     When we ask, we don't receive, because we ask with wrong motives-so we can spend what we get
      on our pleasures. (verse 3)
     ANSWERS:
     OUR INNER DESIRES, PASSIONS, PLEASURES ARE FOCUSED ON OURSELF.
     WE STRIVE TO SATISY OUR INNER DESIRES WITH WORLDLY MOTIVATION.
So if everyone is wanting their way instead of God's way, there are conflicts.
2. Why does God seem so distant from me?
     Friendship with the world is hatred towards God. (verse 4)
     My allegiance divided between the world and God.
     I shut out the Holy Spirit. (verse 5)
     My sins have seperated me from God.
     ANSWERS:
     HUMBLE MYSELF BEFORE GOD AND HE WILL GIVE ME MORE GRACE. (verse 6)
     HE JEALOUSLY WANTS HIS SPIRIT TO DWELL IN ME. (verse 5)
3. Why do I not feel more of God's grace?
     Pride.
     ANSWER:
     SUBMIT TO GOD. (verse 7a)
     SURRENDER MY WILL TO HIS WILL.

4.  Why won't the devil leave me alone?
      I am not resisting temptations, but yield, and thus sin.
      I'm not standing up against the devil and his ways.
      I am straddling the fence.
      I don't know enough scriptures to refute him.
      ANSWER:
      RESIST THE DEVIL. (verse 7b)
5. Why won't God lift me up?
     I don't come near to Him. (verse 8)
     I don't wash my hands and purify my heart. (verse 8b)
     I don't grieve, mourn, and wail over my sins. (verse 9a)
     Instead, I laugh and am joyful in my sins. (verse 9b)
     ANSWER:
     HUMBLE MYSELF BEFORE THE LORD AND HE WILL LIFT ME UP. (verse 10)
[Reference: James, Practical and Authentic Living by Charles Swindoll]

LET IT GROW
What does James tell me to do?
  • Submit to God. Order yourself under God, surrender to Him as conquering King, and receive the benefits of His reign.
  • Resist the devil to solve problems that carnality and strife cause. Stand against the devil's deceptions and intimidation. Come in the authority of what Jesus did on the cross.
  • Draw near to God.  
  • Cleanse my hands at the cross and purify my heart.
  • Humble myself. He resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. (Grace is unmerited favor of God.) (David Guzik)
Liberty Bible Commentary has this to say:
Because of God's never-ending grace, the Christian's logical behavior is total submission to Him, rather than enslavement to the world's allurements. The believer must walk in the Spirit with the utmost caution. He must walk worthy (Col 1:9-10).
LET IT GO

Totally submit everything and myself to God.



    

    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment