Wednesday, May 30, 2012

If the Lord's Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise

530.  "If the Lord's Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise"
May 30, 2012
James 4-Part 4
For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live and do this, or that. But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.    James 4:15


LET IT GLOW

See ya in church Sunday? How many times have I heard someone answer, "If the Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise." I think that phrase was used instead of answering yes or no. I suppose that saying came from the horse and buggy/wagon era. If the creek was up and roaring out of its banks, which is common here during the spring floods, then I could see that horses and wagons couldn't cross it. (We still have a few low-water bridges on our back roads like this.) But what gets me is they bring the Lord's will into the situation, which probably isn't even being considered about the matter at hand, especially if He wants them to attend worship services.
Less you think I'm coming down too hard, I do the same thing. Oh, not in those words, but I use maybe, or I don't know when I really mean no, but don't want to say it.

What does James have to say about it? What is the Lord's will? Does He care about our little decisions we make during the day, or the plans we make during the month or throughout the year? Does it matter what we do or where we go?

We should respect the divine sovereignty of God and be willing to have something interrupt my plans and cheerfully make the most of it. Everything is contingent on God's will (Blake)

Do I boast in God and His wonders? Trust in His plans?

We all depend upon Almighty God for life, and breath, and all things. (Matthew Henry)

I have been praying for rain the last 2 weeks. We are looking like Texas last year. No rain has come. Yet God knows best, when to send it, when not to send it. Maybe more people should pray.

Psalm 22:3, NIV, says, Yet You are enthroned as the Holy One; You are the praise of Israel.

We will agree that God is still on His throne. Even if it doesn't rain this week, can I say, "Yet Linda will still praise Him?" Do I yield to the Lord's Will willingly?
Please join me in praying for rain for Arkansas.

LET IT GROW


If we are ever considering walking on a different path than what the Lord Jesus has us on, don't. Verse 17 warns us: If I know the right thing to do, and don't do it, then I have sinned.

Take what you have learned from God's Word and begin practicing it. Stop running others down and let God do the judging. Instead of seeking to control, learn to submit to God and follow. (Swindoll)

Sins of omission lead directly to sins of commission. (MacArthur)

It is never a minor thing to know God's will and not do it. God calls this sin. We can make excuses for our lack of obedience. We can rationalize, procrastinate, deceive ourselves into thinking that good intentions equal obedient actions.They do not. A good intention without corresponding activity is disobedience .Making commitments is not the same as obeying the Lord. Only obedience satisfies God's desire for obedience.  (Blackaby)

If I know it is the right thing to do, yet I don't do it, then I am sinning, right?


LET IT GO

Boast in what the Lord does, not what I do.

Trust Jesus in all things.

Do what I know is right and what I know is the Lord's will.

No comments:

Post a Comment